Urgent help needed Noticed these spots on my new fish - am i being paranoid

Reaction score
i initially thought they were tiny air bubbles - which is what they look like cos thye almost seem shiny when the fish is swimming about

He ate a bit yesterday bit didnt touch the Angel food i got him (sliced a 1/3 of a block, defrosted, dropped into the tank)

any idea what these are?

advice please, i am a complete noob.

Reaction score
Tank is a Boyu TL550, water paratmeters were tested on Tuesday and all in order.
My salt level is a bit low (1.020)
i've been feeding the fish froxen brine shrimp & pellets
i also noticed diatoms on Wednesday morning, lights been out since then, skipped feeding on wednesday and fed last night.

459b

Reaction score
Cant see exactly what the spots are from the pic.
Are they well defined raised dots or more like irregular patches?

Reaction score
really sorry about the poor image quality, this guy swims about ALOT!

i initially thought they were tiny littel air bubbles as they would shine when the light hit them.

heres a closer look:

Reaction score
i initially thought they were tiny air bubbles - which is what they look like cos they almost seem shiny when the fish is swimming about
Some newly caught fish have those tiny bubbles. If the fish was caught is a net it is possible that the fishes slime coat got damaged.

But as David says. Very hard to see from that pic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
is the fish scraping him self against the substrate and rocks
i have seen him rubbing himself here and there and he has also squeezed himself through a few narrow gaps in the rocks so i see where you are going with your question.

Kind of just looks like he bumped himself. As long as he is eating well I wouldn't worry
yeah, like Shaun suggested. i will monitor him him closely this weekend.

Thank you for advising guys, like i said, i dont want to be paranoid but i'would hate for one of the few fish on my wish list to perish so soon after receiving him.

Top Bottom