Notebook with Serial ports

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My HP notebook has finally packed up.:( Does anybody know witch notebook/laptop comes with a serial port. The usb-serial adapters are not really reliable and have seen lots of complaints about them.
Have seen on the net on a forum that Dell have one, so I phoned and that model is not available in SA. Phoned ASUS the tech did not even know what a serial port was, but the 2 that have serial ports cost a arm and a leg. Phoned HP they gave me the models with ports but they are not sold anymore.

What I have found is that the sales and tech guys don't know much about their products.

The other thing is does anybody have any contacts with Tarsus or Axis.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
The Dell D6xx series has a serial port. Think D630 is the latest one.

Reaction score
Sems like serial is finally dieing a slow death. What the hell do you still use DOS for? This is the 21'st century.....:razz:

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sems like serial is finally dieing a slow death. What the hell do you still use DOS for? This is the 21'st century.....:razz:
Funny when you google a question about laptops and serial ports you still get lots of guys using them.

I have software for programming that only runs in dos.
I may now set up a PC for Dos, but then I can't do the work on site, but still need a serial port or I will have to spend around R8000 to get new usb cables.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just gone though all HP 8XXX, non of them now have serial ports, I even downloaded the data sheets and looked at the diagrams and pic's.
OK - let me see which one my work colleague has - he definitely has a HP 8xxx (something something something) notebook - WITH a 9-pin male serial port on it....

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
jacques is it new, HP gave me a list of ones with serial ports but they are old models and you can't get them any more. I have( well had) a HP NX 9000. I can get it repaired but at a cost of R6100. The thing has been giving problem for about 2 years now, even reinstalled the software to see if that was the problem.