Not sure what is going on please help!!!

Reaction score
Hi To anyone that can help

My marine tank is about a month and a half old and all of a sudden in about 2 days there is this golden brown algae all over the live rock as well as on the crushed choral at the bottom. There is nothing on the glass so not sure what it is or what i need to do to get rid of it. it is a 100L tank and there is mushroom rock and a tubeworm in it.
there is also a clown fish, 2 blue damsals and a shrimp. i have checked all the filters and stuff and everything seems to be working properly so not sure what is going on.

If anyone has any advise please let me know asap cause i am not sure how serious this is.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Ryan.

This is diatoms, quite normal for a new tank, you need to test for Phosphate and use a phosphate remover, also ensure your R/O water is good (TDS of zero) otherwise you could be adding phosphate which isn't good.

Could i just add that you seem to be rushing into this a bit, a 6 week old tank is barely cycled and probably shouldn't have any stock in it = ok too late now but slow down a bit and allow things to settle down while youget all your water perameters up to scratch and gain a little more experience in water changes and testing etc, you will enjoy this very rewarding hobby much more.:)

Always slower is better. A couple of good books are always great, enhances everything.

Normally silicates are the main cause of Diatoms, Might be in your make-up water. Once they get through them they disappear, usually for good.:)

Always slower is better. A couple of good books are always great, enhances everything.

Normally silicates are the main cause of Diatoms, Might be in your make-up water. Once they get through them they disappear, usually for good.:)

Whoops sorry Bob is right, i was thinking cyanobacteria - uses phosphates, but it is diatoms and as Bob said, they take silicates, but both will burn out with good quality water.

Back
Top Bottom