Not so new 1.2m tank upgrade

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nism0, 18 Jan 2013.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Good day people of Masa,

After buying a full system in feb of 2012 I have come to the point where the annoying things about the system are just getting too annoying.

The system included the following:

4ft display tank with corner overflow (overflow is a problem that needs some sorting out)
    3ft sump with DSB, skimmer and phosban reactor
    Total system volume of roughly 300 litres.

Over the past year I have experimented with ATS in a few forms without success and a small refugium above the sump....also without success.
    The skimmer is not skimming very well and the dsb is way too small.
    A strange red algae (not red velvet, nor red bubble) is on all the rockwork but that was my own fault. :whistling: Getting that sorted now though.

The main issue is the VERY limited space.

So I have managed to get the wifes conditional approval to upgrade....sort of. :p
    The conditions are that it must be very cost effective, and the DT has to stay.

That means the sump can be redone and the cabinet which it is built into can also be thrown out :yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude:

So here is my first draft of what i hope will be an efficient system with very few of the problems that I currently struggle with.

You will see that the stand is in fact planned so that a bigger tank can fit onto it. The extra space is then taken up by a refugium. The sump is now bigger than the DT and has a large middle section for either a dsb, or liverock or or or.....
    A super reef octo 2000xp will be skimming a volume of about 500lt of water.
    Any advice or ideas from you guys is as always very much appreciated!

Reef 1-1 first draft front.jpg

Reef 1-1 first draft.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

As mentioned above, the overflow is a problm that i am now gatvol with.
    Overflow width is 175mm. When the tank is full and running, the water level is about equal with the bracing that sits in the tank. This creates two pockets of water surface that collect gunk and cannot go over the overflow.

In order to prevent this i have had to resort to pointing a powerhead at the overflow which increases the overflow water and decreases the water level in the tank enough to have it about 5 to 10mm below the bracing. So much of frustration:banghead:

Last edited: 18 Jan 2013
  4. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

5. Wes

Wes

post some pics so we can advise on the current system, it may not be neccessary to go the new tank route.

6. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

@Wes Here is the sump shot i have on my phone. Dont have a recent tank shot unfortunately.
    As you can see its a mess. Skimmer compartment is too small for the SRO 2000xp which im collecting tomorrow. flow over dsb is too slow even with an extra pump from return chamber to skimmer chamber.
    DSB was only 5cm deep when i bought the tank so had to add the extra sand hence the colour difference in the layers.
    Those two light fittings are not working or even connected to a plug :p
    The main issue is that I want to change the sump, but physically it cannot be removed due to that strut. Therefore the plans to scrap the cabinet and do it right.....or better at least.

IMG_0167s.jpg

7. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Bio load on tank as it stands:

2x Blue Green Chromis
    1x Coral Beauty
    1x Percula Clown
    1x Cleaner Shrimp
    1x Coral banded shrimp
    a few turbo snails and a hermit. Hermit killed all his competition unfortunately. They were smaller.

Corals:

GSP, Shrooms, zoas and an open brain. Zenias just dont want to grow.

Filtration:

Skimmer, Phosban, Purigen and DSB.
    16% water change every 2 weeks

8. Wes

Wes

sounds like we have a problem with the return pump being too small.

9. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Return pump is a Sicce Syncra 3.0 pumping a head of 1.3m
    According to the chart it should be returning about 2300l/h
    Then on top of that is a Eheim 1000/2000 which is going through the chiller so not sure what the l/h would be on that. Much less than the Sicce though.

Not sure what firgures I should be aiming for here though. Total system volume is just under 300lt.
    There are 4 elbows in the return line that i didnt take into account though.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Overflow length should be wider than your sump. Else your water head in display will be too much. Remember the same amount of water flows through your sump as what flows over the overflow. Unless you have a pump from return chamber to the first chamber.

If you will drain the tank with this upgrade, you got two options, either replace the overflow with a slimline, or cut the current box 10mm shorter.

If you got euro racing, I will not go with a slimline. Impossible to remove anything.

To cut the corner box shorter, you need to cut it out, then cut 10mm off, sand it smooth and refit the glass. I done that recently to my one tank where the water level was so high that when I stick my arm in too fast, I spill water over the side. Due to original calculation error I made when I built the box in the first place.

I like the refugium idea.

Nope, as already mentioned, his display water level is so high that it already touches the bracing. Upgrading the return pump would just make it worst.

11. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Thanks gents,

the advice is appreciated and noted. The refugium is something I have always been very keen on.

I have however seen a beautiful tank this weekend and will be working towards building a very similar system during the next few months. 1.2 x 0.8 x 0.6deep. And the wife has even agreed that a piece of the lounge wall can be cut away to accommodate the tank. She must really love me, or she has been abducted by aliens. :lol:

12. the fish

the fish

looks like its going to be an awesome build

13. Dillan

Dillan

14. Wes

Wes

for some strange reason I seemed to have read that the sump was not flowing correctly.

My bad, anyways;

You manage to sort this out?

15. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Hi Wes,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I managed to reverse the flow in the sump by extending the plumbing. That was not a fun day. Had a bit of a flood but everything is working much better now. I have put in the Reef Octo Super XP2000 cone skimmer which is running very nicely.
    The overflow is still too small so a powerhead helps to push more water over and keep the level below the bracing in the DT.

The new tank build is on hold for now. Lets just say the 5 year plan has now changed to a 3 month plan due to the way things are going at work. :013:
    One of our competitors has been forced to close their doors and if clients dont start paying on time then things are looking quite bleak.

Last edited: 6 Feb 2013
Recent Posts