not-so-hungry Snowflake

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Mouse, 6 Nov 2009.

1. Mouse

Mouse

Look who's back...! :razz:

Quick one guys, my snowflake is a good eater, LOVES anything I offer, but lately seems to have gone off food a bit.
    I have tried calamari, shrimp, mussels, squid, raw fish, the works and he comes out and has a good look, may take a bite or two but normally he can eat up to 2 calamari rings in a feedind session. Now if he has a tiny sliver of one it's a lot.

I have read that they go into hibernation type mode, can this be it do you think? Water parameters are spot on, I continue to do weekly cleaning sessions and all other fish and corals are doing well!

Perhaps he's just eating my snails? ha haaaaaaa...can't be sure though, but my snail population has diminished over time since he arrived.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I'm not to familiar with eels but look at his behaviour and see if there have been any changes. That's generally an indicator of bad health

4. Sentari

Sentari

I personally think if fish / inverts arent eating they getting a source of food from somewhere else.

Give him some time i say. But would be nice to see what other people have to say.

5. Mouse

Mouse Thread Starter

Nope, no changes in behaviour! He's still the same as usual, pretty laid back but always comes out at night to explore and if I have my hands in the tank he's there in a shot to check me out.

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

sound like he is slightly stressed, any new tank mates with him? any thing else change?

7. dallasg

from Wet web media, learnt something new about eels

8. Mouse

Mouse Thread Starter

thanks, I had read that and thought I'd double check. No new tank mates and everything still going ahead as normal in the tank, so perhaps he is just "hibernating"...

9. dallasg

yip, i think so too, a friend of mine who has one suggested makeing the food appear live, he takes lance fish on a veggie clip and lets the powerheads move it like a fish to stimulate feeding...

10. 8inch

8inch

I hope I'm not shot down for saying this.
    I belieive that a helping of "live food" will assist in boosting his appetite.
    I had similar problem when i kept freshwater eels.
    I know there is a moral issue with this but its all natural and is good for your fish.

Dan.

11. FransSny

FransSny

Mouse if nothing changed I am going to suggest that you are right wrt the "hibernation"...I also have a snowy and it too goes on a fast every now and again.

As for live food I would have to disagree, IMHO that could make it more difficult to get him to eat frozen later on (O yea thats also a bit cruel) . Rather just defrost your food (I feed silvers) in a bit of garlic water, that has helped me in the past

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there perfectly normal for eels not to eat everyday! Reef central goes on to say actually up to 7 months with NO FOOD and no change in physical appearance - but if around the face starts to get shrivelled then its a sign of not getting enough into their system - give it some time I feed mine about once or twice a week and seem fine - also their metabolism rate is very slow so takes them time to use up their last meal - just look at the face - must be like "puffy" if I can say that then all should be A.O.K.!

Recent Posts