Not from S.A But interested

Reaction score
Hi everyone , i am not from South Africa, but i am interested in this subject, can anyone tell me, why you guys keep losing power ? is it due to old equipment, or not enough , or over population ?

i am just interested to know thats all :)

Cheers Andrew

P.S sorry if this has been explained some where else

is it due to old equipment, or not enough , or over population ?
All of the above mate, with added extras such as corruption, lack of interest, lack of planning, lack of foresight, lack of intelligence, I blame you, you blame me and so on ;)

Sh%t that really sucks , how often do you lose power ? say a monthly average "how many hours" if thats possible

Cheers for responding as well :)

Cheers for responding as well
It's almost 2am here, you'll get a few more responses when everybody else wakes up :p

The power outages have stopped for a while, but they are forever threatening to begin them again. The outages used to vary from area to area, but in my town we would get them 3 times a week and normally between 2 and 4 hours long each time.

the sad part is that they still see themselves as doing their job effeciently and further giving themselves hefty increases and bonuses... its a joke...

Gee this is really bad indeed :(

Sean mate thats crap :( they should give you some thing :(

Are they building other power plants ?

Hi everyone , i am not from South Africa, but i am interested in this subject, can anyone tell me, why you guys keep losing power ? is it due to old equipment, or not enough , or over population ?

i am just interested to know thats all :)

Cheers Andrew

P.S sorry if this has been explained some where else

Hi Andrew.I am up in Richard's Bay northern KwaZulu Natal.To be honest,the loadshedding has not happened up here for months.I think the last time we had it was in March last year.We were given schedules which were followed quite well and it was only for about 2 hours max at a time.It was definitely as a result of bad planning.You must also remember that the previous white government only catered for the white population and when the black government took over they tried to give the majority electricity for free.Now that was not a very smart move.They should have immediately planned for new power stations,instead they pocketed all the bucks:p.At the moment Eskom(our supply company)has got a number of power plants planned for construction.Our Nuclear power plant is being duobled up and I believe there will be a plant built up here by us.They are also recommisioning old moth balled plants.What our country really needs now is public awareness of energy conservation.It is a good thing in a way as the entire globe needs to wake up to energy conservation.;)

goodisor , thats a very good point you make about energy conservation, but still no one needs to load shed , this is very poor management by any goverment or company. You know i guess i am lucky here , but i really feel for people who need the power. Say hospitals , medical centers etc etc i hope they do not suffer :(, but on that note it is rather sad to see people's hobby's suffer as well :(

cheers

:lol: .. The old Eskom debate is always a winner..

The latest one is Priceless..
Due to high demand and not enough resources South Africans have been urged to wise up on energy consumption. Messages flash across our television screens " Electricity supply is under severe pressure, please switch off all non essential appliances " etc etc - Similar to the messages you guy's get over in Aus.
Anyway, the load shedding seems to have stabilised over the last 6 months and I would like to think it is as a result of South Africans being more energy conscious, because Eskom sure as hell haven't done much to increase capacity.

Now the joke is... they are proposing a major tarriff increase hike.. Why ? Because we are not using enough electricity at the moment and their turnover has dropped... I kid you not.. Que circus music..

Hey Dragon Reef thanks for your input :) thats good and bad i guess , but jacking the price up is bloody wrong :(

i dont think we have any major power problems here in Aus "well victoria anyway " although when it gets very hot say 32+ C the power can go out , but that has not happened for well over 2 years :) and it is only off for an hour or 2 at most.

cheers

Cheers

We go from a situation five months ago where we are told that load shedding will continue for 4 years. Carte Blanche (popular TV series) we discover that the once massive coal stock piles have disappeared. No stock piles. News reports tell us of wet coal, break downs and infrastructure that needs maintenance. We later learn that Eskom is exporting power to our neighbours (another Carte Blanche expose') supposedly at a premium and that given the existing power stations there is more than enough power to go round . Including export.

The simple facts are...April 2006 coal cost R376 per ton April 2008 coal cost R1230 per ton. The newly built railway line to Richards Bay they discover is not adequate. Export of all our coal to China becomes a national priority. BBC news documentary we discover that China is building a coal fired power station every two weeks.

The global crisis has seen commodity prices collapse including demand from the West. In every thing. Nothing is spared. That means that coal exports have collapsed and we out of the blue learn that all the power stations are once again sitting with huge stock piles. Like months of back up supply.

Antony is correct.... the latest price increase has got nothing to do with building new stations but because of the drop in demand. ie we have been so efficient at cutting consumption that Eskom's revenue is falling. Hhhmmmmmmmm

Holy CRAP !!!

Over here in Victoria my state , we have a water problem "not enough" we have restrictions , cant wash cars or paths , only water gardens 2 times a week , and save water as much as we can , now they are jacking the bloody price of water up :(

Yea, heard you having a dry spell. Commiserations from all of us. We have had those as well. Using bath water for the toilet etc. Not nice

Yea, heard you having a dry spell. Commiserations from all of us. We have had those as well. Using bath water for the toilet etc. Not nice

Thanks mate

As for using bath water for the toilet ,i hope it does not come to that

cheers

this however is not only in SA, but when i was in USA a few years back, the western side was having power issues and brown outs, couldnt use lifts incase elec failed, etc etc, florida was having load-shedding......

Back
Top Bottom