Not all is well in paradise:(

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by crispin, 19 Apr 2008.

1. crispin

crispin

man i got load shedding for 6 hours yesterday, the third day in a row, bringing the total to 16 hours in three days. Thats tough for my little reef. Lost a clown and a reagal hasnt surfaced from the reef yet but he might have been having a lie in as I leave early in the morning.

but its the other guys I am worried about, the goat fish has lost colour, all fish are chatting closely to the grooming palour of shrimps and they ahve marine itch, flicking off on the reef which is a new development. I am stressed that i am getting an outbreak which i wont be able to controll.

i have back up power sourced but not installed yet.

can anyone elaborate on marine itch (or is it justa blanket term). do i need to be looking closely for an outbreak or something? I did a water change at 4am this morn, 20% and have the ro going to make water for another one tomorrow morning. Anything else I can and should be doing?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Feed well. Some people say garlic helps, I use Omega flakes with garlic.

If they're eating well they should recover from the Ich

4. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

they are all feeding well, i am running out of algae ( as in the farmed stuff i had from tap water in my tank) so they are all eating nori really well. I am just sure that diet is not going to be the only sollution, will have to watch carefully this weekend

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

the whitespot can be deadly. You have to just feed like crazy. Even think of doubling your feeding schedule. There is no cure other than QT all your fish and leaving the tank fallow for a 4-6 week period

6. Storm

Storm

crispin sorry for your loss, last month I had a power cut for 18hours and only ended up losing my nennie. Luckily the fish all made it. Just get a battery powered air pump for power cuts and your reef will do just fine.

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Good idea Storm, if he was ever at home. I reckon an invertor system is the only way to go considering his out-of-town nature :p.

8. Ferdie Vorster

Ferdie Vorster

You can also try an AC/DC air pump, which automatically switch over to battery if the mains are lost

9. Jason

Jason

Sorry to hear about your los... Yes the battery operated airpump and powerhead will work... I think the battery operated powerhead would be hard to get hold of... Dit try to get one but no LFS in CPT had one and even never heard of something like it before:angry:

10. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

shot for the suggestions guys, i will go the inverter with deep cycle cells when i power down (like i do that deliberatley!) but for now i think I am lucky in that teh system is new and fish small, every one (except the poor c;lown) seem to be fine, the nennie is surprisijng me and looking as fat as anything. I need some more internal flow, but for now i will just hook a heater, two internal power heads and the return pump onto the batteries and hope that holds the fort while i am on the farm or out of town:)

11. Storm

Storm

You could also get a Inverter + Car Battery and hook them up to each other. Total costs range around R800-1000 instead off Gennies for "Thousands". If i remember correctly 1 battery could do my tank (All Equipment)/tv for the entire 2 hour load shedding period. And should be able to go well 8hours plus, and when the battery's depleted just recharge or swap for a new battery, should never be without power. Oh and its quiet :p

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

Crispin check out Matt's thread, he has quite a cool backup system and not too expensive.

13. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Warr: I actually upgraded because I wanted something that'd last about 8 hours (in case of a huge powercut), as well as run some lights I could use to study with

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

I love the explanation ;)

15. IMarine

IMarine

Hi crispin i had my lights off for 20 hours but thank god lost nothing @ all, the ac dc air pump works like a dream but only ran for 8 hours, i then connected my battery air pump for the rest of the time,its a small investment battery air pump R65.00 and ac dc is around R375.00,and remember you should find out when load shedding is,so that you dont feed 2 hours before other wise you might have a nitrate build up due to no circulation,a uv light you should run in your case for 1 day on 1day off for 4 days yes it works some will say no uv, but any free swimming pathogens will be killed and bacteria how much no body no's,so if you dose some good bacteria (seachem stabality ) every 2 days you fish should recover and ph keep stable@ 8.3 and kh @11-12 good luck

16. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

nice explnation there matt, but i recon you actually want the lights to see the fish and tell lecturers you couldnt study due to power cuts:)

can you pm me details and prices on the systems you had and now have upgraded to?

17. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

cool

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Crispin! Sorry to hear this man! Ja - invertors/car batteries/12 Volt pumps AND battery operated air-pumps seems to be the way to go!

Jason - Try Central Boating in Cape Town for 12 Volt power-heads (actually called, and used as boating "bilge pumps")....

You can run them quite long on a charged car battery (depending on the size of the car battery of course!)....

19. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

bilge pumps:) always good to see new angles to different problems. Very clever that man:)

i have sourced an inverter system, 2 deep cycle batteries which will give me 1100 w ina fairly neat system for R5500 or so. Probably slight overkill for my current needs but there is always the second tank....or third, fourth etc:)

20. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Great to hear that you got something sorted Crispin! BTW: When will you be in Cape Town? PM me when you will be available, and also your number.

21. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

i will send you a pm:) i am holding off on booking the ticket as I did not want to be away in cpt when IMACSA is on in jhb, looks like a great conference so i didnt want to miss it. I will def give you a buzz re tank squizzing:)

Recent Posts