North Coast Expedition info

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by brentv, 23 Feb 2011.

1. brentv

brentv

Guys where is the most nothern spot (obviously below Sodwana) where we are legally able to catch specimens?
    I know maybe some of you Richards bay Okes don't wanna give away to many of your spots, but just curious? Also possibly where we could launch a boat!?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Mission Rocks/Bat Point as far as I know. Cape Vidal all the way to the MOZ boarder is reserve country.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2011
  4. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

DO You know if we can launch there Richard?

5. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Definitely Nope! I haven't dived in that area for a good 13 or so years, as far as I can remember. The coast looks fairly barren from Google Earth in that region. I assume Cape Vidal has launch sites, but that is in the reserve so no collecting (even if the fish in question were caught out of the reserve). St Lucia is 30 clicks to the south which is quite a boat ride I guess. Dunno what the deeper reefs look like in that area, there appear to be reefs under the break for mos of that coastline.

6. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

tried doing a bit of research, Looks like a Maphelane is the best bet just out of the marine reserve, they have a launch & places to stay!!!

7. johanpm

johanpm

I remember going there as a chid... We lost our BMW's exhaust there! hehe

8. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

Isn't Maphelane also a nature reserve, though I assume not a marine one...

9. shauno

shauno

im pretty sure it is a reserve of some sort

went there about 4 years ago..

Its like an hour drive through the forest to get there .

super nice piece of coastline !!!

10. seank

seank

You can launch from most southern side (North of Richards Bay) which would be Mapelane, up to Cape Vidal, all the way thru to Rocktail Bay. The latter being very expensive as you have to be booked in at their lodge. The ultimate place to stay though, I tell ya....lol

But, Mapelane falls in a Marine Reserve. Then you get Cape Vidal- About 5 km south of Vidal it is safe to collect all the way down to St Lucia- quite a stretch, But anything North of Cape Vidal is a no-no.

You can launch at Richards Bay, drive either north or south with a boat, and collect there, but, you have to use scuba, as the wreck south of Richards Bay (Petingo) is about 20 meters deep, but it is worth it as sea life is prolific there, not a lot of divers out there.

Any more info you want, pm me as I do not discuss our resources on an open forum ;)

Recent Posts