Normal Clown Behaviour when lights off ..?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by belindamotion, 12 Sep 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Hi Guys

My Clowns are forever coming up with different behaviours that makes me break out in a sweat..:eek:

Now I have to mention..this happens when the lights are off...this morning I came down to see my Clown right at the bottom...tail touching Aragonite...
    [​IMG]
    My Nemo has never done that..so still that for a moment I thought it was dead
    but stuck on something...:eek:..but then SHEWWWWWWWW...it moved...:blush:
    This is where they normally "sleep" or park during the day...actually more the one,than the other....although I have to add that it's usually "head down"..
    [​IMG]
    I've come to the conclusion that I panic sometimes for the silliest things..:blush: My worst panic attack was when the one gave me the odd "floater sleeping position"...WOW it
    "swam" like a dead fish...on it's side..with the body breaking the surface...:eek: I was in tears and had the LFS test everything in my water and I also checked everything regarding my set-up as I was sure I must be missing something as THAT can't be "normal"...sigh...I still get the odd "floating sleeping position" which still freaks me out...!!!:eek::eek:

Coming back to my Clown...it's swimming around in the Tank at about 2cm from the Aragonite...is that normal when lights are off...? Can't recall that it's ever been so low..it's almost like it's trying to "host" against everything, but yet not touching anything...:p

When light's go on my Clowns are "normal again"...:lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

Clowns are never normal :p

Mine do similar strange things....one of them is sleeping too close to the over flow and they get sucked into the back of my tank....or lying on a rock in the tank on their sides as if they are about to die....Im used to seeing them do this now...

Boegie likes this.
  4. hermie

hermie

I agree, mine also sleep in crazy positions, whether it's on the sand, a rock or in a coral. I just have a chuckle whenever they do something more bizarre than usual...

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

yip sounds normal too me as well, my clowns used to hose in powerheads, in the corners of the tank, anything really...most do its just in their nature...nothing to worry about at all.

At the moment mine dont have anything to host in as I have removed my anemones and my frogspawn since they were killing it off...so now they also sleep hovering just above the substrate.

relax :)

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Mine sleeps on a fungia. There plenty of other things to sleep in (including bubbletip anemone and pincushion).
    Dont think you can include "clown" and "normal" in the same sentence.

7. rakabos

rakabos

They are called clown fish for a reason :p

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Thanks guys..:)..sigh...I always worry when they "introduce" a new behaviour as I've never had fish before and can't tell if it's going to be sick...or sick...or healthy..:blush:

9. Dlaria

Dlaria

10. belindamotion

My Blennie hangs over my AMMONIA ALERT disc..:lol::lol::lol: Sorry I know it's not a Clownfish but I couldn't help mentioning it..:p

Dlaria likes this.
  11. Renier

Renier

its normal….. you should see them when there’s a few hundred in a raising tank they literally lay on top of each other

12. belindamotion

Ok..another "clown" behaviour lately...for one or other reason my one Nemo has decided to "host" in my GHA during the day...:p..I mean seriously..:blush: I never see the Nemo now as the GHA is on the back panel and she is behind the slanting rock...:(
    [​IMG]

13. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Ive seen a clownfish host a midas blenny, the funniest thing ever!

14. belindamotion

Ok..time for another picture....as everybody probably knows by now, my DT is now a Refugium..:005: I have so much GHA it's just not funny...:eek:..I actually grew it at one stage as I have the 1 Nemo who "hosts" in it...:biggrin:..but of cause it grew faster than I wanted it to...:whistling:...anyway must sort that out...Here is a picture of my Nemo who "hosts" in my GHA...she has taken residence here and just about NEVER moves...I can take a 2min video clip and Miss Sunshine will still be on her side...:005:
    and NOPE...not dead or dying...although I did think that the 1st time I saw it...when the light's were off...:p
    [​IMG]

15. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I guess clowns really deserve their name, being the "clowns" of the tank, doing all sorts of funny things... One could really write volumes on their antics! :)

Recent Posts