Noobybranch

Discussion in 'New Members' started by blackknight08, 11 Apr 2012.

1. blackknight08

blackknight08

Hi All, I just got my first marine tank on Saturday. Used to be huge into fresh water, but thought it was time to cure the itch :).

Got me a small 80 litre "nano" marine tank. They sold me some "nice" coral gravel only to replace it 3 days later with Aragonite so my tank is all cloudy again... fail :)

Been reading alot of the forums and they helped plenty.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. blackknight08

blackknight08 Thread Starter

Awesome thanks for the links.

Cant wait to get home to see if the water has cleared from that messy Aragonite :(. Then off to the petshop on the weekend for a lil piece rock :yeahdude:

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome.

happy you found MASA before you bought any life stock. Go ahead, ask questions, and read threads on MASA. All questions have been asked before, and they will be asked again.

6. blackknight08

Cool thanks.

I do have a question. For my nano type tank which has the three compartment "sump" like thing which sits at the back of the tank, the 1st has the skimmer & heater, 2nd filter then 3rd compartment is the return pump.

Q: From the LFS the filter only comes with those ceramic bio things. I replaced the ceramic things with a layer of sponge, charcoal then large chunks of coral as they recommended is this the correct method?

Im going to read those links added by belindamotion just incase I missed that answer :)

Thanks

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

welcome! Do you have a bouy type tank? post some pics up

8. blackknight08

Here are some images of my tank. Its a HaiYang M500, 80 litre tank, Well im trying to get them attached, image coming soon... Here they are :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  9. blackknight08

Regarding my filtration system: I have it layered as follows: Sponge, charcoal then large chunks of crushed coral (replaced the ceramic rings because apparently they bad) will this be good or bad for the tank.

The only issue i've found so far with adding the sponge and charcoal is the flow to the return pump is reduced alot so the compartment water level is lower, this was where the heater was originally, so I had to move the heater to next to the skimmer...

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  10. belindamotion

Can you get a better picture of the back compartments...? All I can find on the Web is this...
    Welcome Zhongshan Haiyang Aquarlum Products Factory ..don't see you'r Tank Model...I have a BOYU TL-450...looks identical just my "back" is different...with mine the Filter is the 1st...then Skimmer 2nd...then I took out the ceramic rings and replaced with LiveRock rubble....3rd...I suggest you do the same and get rid of crushed Coral...unless it's a "sump" Chamber where you can place Sand...I don't have one of those Sump Compartments so I do stand corrected...:blush:..and my last Chamber has the return and heater...

11. blackknight08

I got some better pics last night of the chambers in my tank. Theres are three chambers starting on the left Heater & Skimmer, then Filter, then return pump. My tank doesnt have a sump... bad analogy on my part :). The filter (middle chamber) has three boxes in it to seperate the different filtration media.

The boxes are as follows:
    1. Bottom Box : Sponge - Charcoal - Sponge
    2. Middle Box : Crushed Coral
    3. Top Box : Crushed Coral
    The water flows from the bottom box to the top. Can I leave crushed coral in one of the boxes and them just replace the other with live rock chunks?

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. belindamotion

13. Mc

Mc

Welcome, looks like you have gotten off to a good start.:thumbup:
    I think one of the problems with leaving crushed coral in the back is that it becomes a trap for detrius, so if you do decide to do that make sure you rinse it in the old tank water when you do your water change. One of the best natural filters is live rock, I would suggest about 8kgs. It will also make the tank look more natural. I would remove the balls and rings but thats just me and add some phosgaurd and purigen or chemipure for some chemical filtration. Also an extra powerhead/wavemaker for more flow in the tank.

14. blackknight08

Thanks for reply... this is the first forum ive ever joined :).

Its a very small tank 80L, so should I put 10% of the volume in rock (8kgs)? The LFS said I should start with 1kg of LR and some clean base rock (that white looking rock) and then let it cycle for 4-6 weeks. Im going to remove the crushed coral tonight then buy some live rock tomorrow or sat and get the 5in1 test kit (all i can afford for now :whistling:). I got this liquid to assist with biofilter not sure what those checmicals are you spoke about... gana research that now. O and the powerhead, are there small enough ones for my little tank, its gana make a tsunami, where should I put it? Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited: 12 Apr 2012
  15. Mc

Mc

They normally recommend 1kg per 10litres of water. You can start with one or two kgs of live rock and the rest dried if you want, it will just take longer for the dead rock to build up life, but a lot of people do it that way. When you say 5in1 do you mean the strips? These are not very accurate. Why don't you just start out with a kit for ammonia nitrites and nitrates, these are the main things you will worry about during the cycle.

There are plenty small power heads, a good one on the cheaper side is the sunsun but they don't last that long specially the suction cups.

Hydor also makes some nice ones that aren't that badly priced. Price for hydor koralias - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    The KE2800 would probably good for this tank.

Those are just filtration media similar to carbon, just more advanced.

16. blackknight08

great. Yip I believe its those strip testers, I will have a look at the other testing kits then. Which direction and where should I place the powerhead. At the moment theres an adjustable nozzle/head that comes from the return and its close to the surface pushing in an anticlockwise direction. Should the power head be placed below this one and in the same direction? :)

Thanks for link :)

Last edited: 12 Apr 2012
  17. belindamotion

18. Mc

Mc

I would say place it just below the centre, on the opposite side to the return nozzle, facing slightly upward. You want to make the flow as random as possible.
    I'm not sure how the nozzle on the return pump looks but I would face it so that it disturbs the surface a bit to help the oxygen get into the water.

19. blackknight08

Cool, thanks. Looks much better than jus charcoal :) ... trying to start this tank off with as much of the best stuff as I can afford. I'm using deionised water an not RO water will this suffice for now? I read a discussion here about this, but it never concluded which is better and if there is disadvantages to using the tap water deioniser except the price and the quick exhaustion of the resin?

20. blackknight08

Here's a pic of the return valve nozzle :) I got it facing the top as you mentioned disturbing the water...

[​IMG]

21. Mc

Mc

I can't comment as I don't know about this water, but I would be nervous unless I reserched it and found others using it with good results. The thing about RO is it takes everything out of the water including all the minerals(the reason I don't drink it) which we then put back in the right ammounts. So the salts are actually designed to be used with RO water. You can buy RO from most shops that stock marines, or from some water shops. I used to buy my water from the water shop just make sure it really is RO water.

Recent Posts