Noobie in town :0

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Noobie, 1 Aug 2010.

1. Noobie

Noobie

In advance I would like to apologise if im double threading.

Iv been wanting to set-up a marine tank for a long time now, On Friday I went to pet masters in boksburg and bought the basics (Apparently)

This is what they suggested:
    . 3 Foot Tank, Stand, Lid
    . Coral Sand 20Kg
    . External filter (the one that hangs on the tank)
    . Then there’s a pump inside the water For movement, that sprays down from above the water.
    . Salt
    . Skimmer
    . Blue and white lighting
    . water conditioner
    . Heater
    That’s about it.
    I wanted to find out if I need anything else or if this lot will do?
    Iv heard a lot about sumps (do I need a sump set-up?)
    So I just want to make sure everything is hundreds, cause they also said I should wait 6 weeks before I get any fish or coral.
    So I don’t want to wait 6 weeks and learn iv left something out.

Thanks In advance

Dean

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

4. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Last edited: 1 Aug 2010
  5. gaboon

gaboon

Welcome dude, before you unpack anything find out as much as you can here, you may be able to return some of it and exchange for more important things.

What kind of skimmer is it if you dont have a sump? If its a decent skimmer you wont need the external filter (you may be able to use it as a carbon/phosphate reactor but we'll get into that later)

What lighting is it exactly? T5's, T8's? How may tubes?

Have you thought about what corals you want?

The pump that sprays down from above the water sounds cr@p, what brand is it?

You will battle early on if you rely on petshops for advice, some really experienced guys here that will give you all the proper advice you need.

6. gaboon

gaboon

Also, post pics of the tank etc. Will help us give you better advice

7. crispin

crispin

hello dean and welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marines:) fantastic to know you want to start up and it would be great if we can help you along in your journey:)

Ive added some thoughts in the quote above for you to have a think about :)

hope that helps a little

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to Masa, glad you joined. Please read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank, some great info on cycling a tank and what you need.

9. Boegie

Boegie

Welcome

10. Noobie

Noobie Thread Starter

Depressing stuff

Hey all

Thanks for all the advice:thumbup:

Well here's the story so far, I actually set the tank up a week before my first post, so this week i added 2 testers a Damsel and clown, At first they where very shy now they out and about and seem to be good Buddy's.

So naturally i thought everything was on track UNTIL Yesterday i decided to take a ride through to Pet Stop.

And i have to say they have a beautiful shop with a awesome selection, i walked in and straight away someone came up to me to help "Was shocked never had service like that before:yeahdude: Thumbs up guys"
    Shaun Who i had spoken to earlier that morning came up to me and remembered who i was, (now the shop was pretty busy) and he spent time listening and explained the story to me in no rush, Which is why they now have a customer for life, Awesome shop Excellent service and friendliness, Thanks guys.

Right so it end up that my entire setup is wrong :( Thanks to Pet Masters Boksburg.

A List of what they gave me:

- Standard 3Foot Tank
    - Canopy
    - Stand
    - Heater
    - Dolphin H-800 Hang on filter(with standard charcoal pad)
    - Resun Sk-300 Protein Skimmer (same size as a DVD case) for inside the tank
    - Coral Sand (which Shaun said is fine)
    - And a blue 24" light and white 10000k light
    - Water Conditioner
    - Bio Cultures both are Sera
    end

They said that would be more than adequate for my tank.

Sorry for the long post.

Then Shaun started to explain Ammonia and nitrates Which i was told by the oaks at the biggest Pet shop in Boksburg Not to worry about, "only worry about the salt levels in the water everything will be fine"

So my salt is fine and Ph is almost ok Ammonia & nitrates are completly wrong.

I have decided to start over Was going to buy a 4foot from Petstop, But last night I found a guy thats moving to Cape Town and is selling he's setup (well most of it)
    Its a 4foot tank in cabinet with sump setup and everything included except Skimmer For R1500 couldn't let that bargin go.
    And the best part is Everything was Bought and made at Pet Stop them selves.

So a word of advice for any new comer On the east rand Dont go to biggest Pet shop in Boksburg they have no idea what they talking about.(Should only sell gold fish)

Any words of advice on the new setup? Gonna go through to pretoria again tomorrow and get a decent Skimmer and what ever else they suggest.

Cheers Guys

Dean

Edited :)

Last edited: 15 Aug 2010
  11. Noobie

Noobie Thread Starter

Sorry And girls

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi Noobie .... welcome to MASA .... Sorry to hear about your bad experience ..... but unfortunately we dont promote "naming and shaming" here .... by all means if you wanna name the area and other reefers want to know the shops name then private message them if they ask you .... I understand where you coming from as we all go through it as noobs but sometimes we find that there are many contributing factors that could lead to the LFS giving you bad advice .... You could try to talk to the pet shop and put them on the right track as well then at least you have taught someone something and saved some poor creatures life! So having said that the guys at Pet Shop are great ... have not had the pleasure of dealing with them but I've heard plenty of good reviews here on MASA ... Hope you enjoy your hobby as much as we all do and my your tank grow from strength strength

13. silvano14

silvano14

Welcome

The best thing u can do is read, read, read and then read some more.

Enjoy the hobby it is awesome.

14. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Not to bash these guys unnecessary, BUT I have visited them many times during the past 10 years or so, and the quality of their livestock has always been rather disgusting. They were pretty cheap equipment-wise, though, so buying hardware from them IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR is OK. The quality of their live-stock should be an immediate warning to anyone NOT to rely on their advise...

Pet Stop is well reputed, and will generally give you good advise. I would still, however, recommend that you first post here on MASA before buying anything... quite often we have learned through experience how to DIY for MUCH CHEAPER (but still just as good as the expensive stuff in the shops). A case in point is the play sand that Crispin has mentioned - the shops will try to sell you "aragonite" which is purported to "boost" your alkalinity, calcium, etc - you really do not get wat you pay for with this (except perhaps temporary good looking white sand), but normal "Play Sand" bought from Reggies or Toys-are-Us (or even fine plaster sand, if you don't mind a darker coloured sand...) does the same filtration at a small fraction of the price.

Also, look at the other sponsors from your area - check in the Sponsor's area of this forum. If they are close to you, there is also a pretty good shop in Boksburg-North. They are not sponsors here (I think), so PM me if you want their details.

Hennie

15. Noobie

Noobie Thread Starter

Great

So im recieving my new tank in about 30min or so, Maybe i should shout through to get some play sand?

I see people use sand in the sump aswell? can someone please point me in the right direction on what to put in the sump?

And Skimmer wise? (this last stuff up has left little money to play with)

One last thing, Is bore hole water better to use than tap water? or should i buy bottled water?

Regards

Dean

16. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Sand in the sump is known as a DSB(deep sand bed), it creates an area with no oxygen so anaerobic bacteria can grow which chow nitrates so gives you near 0 nitrate levels

Skimmer, try to find a reef octopus or somthing by reeftek

Water, in marines you have to use RO(reverse osmosis) water because tap water has nasty stuff in which makes algae grow like you have never seen before :( so its best to get a RO unit so you can supply you're own water.

17. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, NOOBIE! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

(Always had the urge to say that :whistling:)

OK, here are some links from MASA on the subjects you inquired about (DLSB and setting up a sump) - hope some of them helps...

Canister Filters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Deep Sand Beds (DSB) - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Rock and Sand in the Reefers World, A geologists Perspective. - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Healthy DSB - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Sump plan - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Deep sand bed - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

DSB Advanced by Dr Ron Shimek - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

anything wrong with this sump design? - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

OK, that's enough for now... oh, and apologies if I posted the same link more than once, I did not open all the links to check, as that would have taken hours.

Hennie

18. crispin

crispin

no need for the search function when we have guys like you to do it for us hennie:)

great post, good on you for digging up all those links.

19. Noobie

Noobie Thread Starter

I bought 80Kg of play sand (i know abit too much)

So just to make sure i can use this sand in the tank it self and the sump?

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Yes you can bud .... and if you start rinsing it now by next year this time it should be clean enough:lol: Just kidding .... You going to give it a good few rinses untill you water runs clean or you going to have sandstorms in your tank .... playsand is fine .... DSB height ideally should be 13/15 cm's deep .... and tank is personal preference or you can go as deep as that as well intank and have a DSB in the main display as well

21. Noobie

Noobie Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, much [FONT=&quot]Appreciated.

Made the tank about 5cm deep, cause i would like to add coral sand aswell if i can? and ill do 15cm in the sump.
    [/FONT]

Recent Posts