Noob - Pods and feather duster ?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by 6x9base13, 23 Oct 2014.

1. 6x9base13

6x9base13

Need to do some tank shots and update,but tanks about 6 weeks old , cycled with live rock, hake and stability and things stabilized quickly.

Added some turbo snails and a blue legged hermit last week. Sadly couldn't resist the temptation and also added a rock with zoas.

They are doing well, but I noticed some other activity the last few days.

First, I have some small creepy crawlies - about 2mm long. Mostly see them with a torch at night but I first noticed one pop out during the day. Too quick to get a photo,but the closest description I can come up with is that they look like fish moths scattering under torch light. Seem to hide amongst the zoa's. A pod of a description ? Doesn't look like the hunched back semi circle I see when googling.

Then, I have a tube constructed out of my substrate reaching up from the ground to the back of the rock. Just over an inch tall and just shy of a centimeter in diameter. I thought I saw a single feather like tentacle , but it's in a really awkward position on the side against the wall. Will try wiggle something in there to get photo's over the weekend. Any ideas ?

Lastly , all on this same rock I have what looks like a small almond shaped pebble with a slit down the middle. Tonight while trying to spot the critters for a better description it seemed to snap shut the instant I switched the torch on. Wasn't expecting or looking for it , so I know this is even vaguer than the other descriptions , but it caught me by surprise. I'll try sneak up on it and get a better look later, but if that description rings any bells please point me in the right direction.

Mostly curious to know if any of these are really bad as I'm pondering adding a fish over the coming weekend.

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Just to add, will try get photos of all these asap, but please post any speculation that could point me at what to Google. Much appreciated!

Last edited: 23 Oct 2014
  4. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

No pics of the creepy crawlies , but this is the almond like thing I mentioned in the center of the pic -:[​IMG]

It's open in that pic, if it's touched it clamps shut. Got two of them on that rock. The other is slightly bigger.

5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

The creepy crawliea sound like pods.

Where in the pic is the "almond"?

6. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

7. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Hi TaahirS ! Very similar ! Extends up from the substrate to the rock.

Will add a circle when I can get online , but just above the central zoa , there's what looks like lips pursed in an O shape. That whole structure is it.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2014
  8. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

I've got loads of them, don't know the name but they seem to be harmless.

9. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Cool. Just curious. I've named mine Eric,but I'm sure one day somebody is going to ask about it and I'd like to know :)

10. weezle

weezle

I would think the almond thing you are describing is in fact a muscle or an oyster and the substrate tube
    Sounds like a spaghetti worm, and those hunch back fish moths that you are finding are definitely pods.
    Those are some nice Zoe's that you have there as well .
    What fish you thinking of adding?

11. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

the tube that is being constructed out of sand is a spinoid worm they are really effective detries cleaners I in my last tank used to over feed and they pretty much covered the sand bed nice for me but some others don't like it..

12. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Ok, so after much more observation , I've id'd the pods and happy with the others being muscle type things of a description. Found a third too.

My Zoas are recovering after being abused trying to get rid of nudi's :( !! Hope I've got them all. Lost about 20%. :( :(

Things are stabilizing and I now suddenly have these pop out :

[​IMG]

Please excuse the cell pics. Missus is out with the Canon.

Closest thing I can find with limited Google skills is Montipora. Can it be ?

Last edited: 10 Dec 2014
  13. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Montipora is SPS, is it hard or soft? The pics aren't too clear but it could be some sort of macro algae.

14. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Ah, algae. Bain of my life at the moment. Haven't poked at it yet. Give me a minute.

15. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

You are talking about the bright red stuff growing off the rock, not the purple stuff on the rock?

16. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Yup.

A gentle brush with a finger would put it in the soft category in my mind. Love this hobby ! You can put something in there and end up with stuff you never knew you had !!

If I buy a 4x4 I can go off road with one vehicle. Buy one rock and you could get anything. Like a lucky packet !!

Will research macro algaes.

Edit PS. Thanks for the pointer.

17. Criggy

Criggy

Thats red macro algae - no worries there

TaahirS likes this.
  18. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

19. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Hi All,

Love this hobby !! Found a new set of critters which I need help ID'ing please.

Been away for the holidays, barring the slight increase in micro algae which I thought I'd beat all is good ! My Zoa's are popping new ones out left , right and center ! Loving this !

Spent yesterday and last night checking things out and found some new stuff in the tank.

I now have pineapple sponges and some small tentacled filter feeder type thing which I'm not concerned about (can't get photo's in any case.) I also have what looks like a Paly popped out the middle of my orange zoas!

I also found this :

Open -

[​IMG]

(Mmmm, the attached image is the right way up, the displayed image is upside down !)

It's more translucent and the lines are more purple than the photo shows. The tube at the bottom closes when disturbed. Any ideas ?

Last night after lights out I also found a white worm like thing - about 15mm long and a mm thick which retracted very quickly into what looks like a small pod fixed to the rock. When retracted the pop looks like a little volcano. I'll try get a photo tonight, but suspect it might be beyond my skill and equipment in the low light.

Not sure if it's related the thing in the image, but they are right next to each other.

All input appreciated !

open.jpg

20. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Managed to get a snap with the cellphone flash this morning before the light came on : [​IMG]

That guy will now stay hidden till lights out again.

21. 6x9base13

6x9base13 Thread Starter

Google has not been friend , that purple jobbie a tunicate of a description perhaps ?

Recent Posts