Noob Jebo R338

Discussion in 'New Members' started by junaidd, 12 Jul 2011.

1. junaidd

junaidd

Hi All

Have been keeping fresh water fish for many years and have finally taken the plunge to marine.
    Have a Jebo R338, fathers day gift :thumbup:... Wife and daughter felt sorry for me as I had to get rid of my 400l Cichlid tank, we are relocating to JHB.
    Tank has been running for 3 days now and seems to be healthy.
    Equipment List:

• Jebo 338 - standard filter with filter pad, ceramic rings and added jebo 501 filter plate that has charcoal in it.

• SunSun vibration pump rated at 2000L/h a bit much for the tank but seems to work well.
    • 2 KG Live rock from LFS.
    • 2 KG fine crushed coral.
    • Using Red Sea coral salt mix (may as well get used to it will be faaar away from sea)
    • Standard lighting 2 x 8w t5 tubes for now but added a lumeno 6 LED strip light I picked up at Outdoor Wharehouse.
    Will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to :blush:

Last edited: 12 Jul 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Nice ... and welcome to MASA. Where in Jhb are you moving to?

4. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Northern Suburbs - Douglasdale or there abouts. Moving in Sept so trying cycle the tank before than :biggrin:.

5. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Cool ... What live stock you planning for the tank

6. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Pics of tank

[​IMG]

7. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Haven't decided on live stock yet but already have some zoanthid blooms on a piece of live rock I picked up from LFS, am really chuffed since tank only running for 3 days.
    Will decide on live stock once I get to JHB, dont want to transport. Any suggestions, am still new to this.[​IMG]

8. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Putting in live stock after 3 days cycle is not a good idea .... they might not survive.

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hi Junaidd, welcome to the hobby and MASA.

The Jebo R388 I think is an updated version of my first marine tank...lasted me 4 months before I upgraded :blush:...once you get into the hobby officially you will soon realise that you want to go bigger and bigger and bigger. :p Nice little tank though and a good way to learn the basics and get into the swing of things.

I would however maybe wait to get it up and running, if you are moving in 2 months time...reason being its probably going to take close on 2 months to cycle properly being a new system with new rock etc and once you move you are going to take it all down again and its going to have to cycle all over again.

Maybe take this time rather to research and plan you system...maybe invest in some more liverock...2kg's is going to be very minimal for a tank who's only real filtration is biological.

Good luck and enjoy your new adventure. :)

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hmmm those arent zoanthids and not technically liverock...your LFS jus sold you a dying Pagoda...thats what those polyps are...the remnents of the living coral.

11. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

I see your tank does not have a filtration chamber at the back. What Filtration are you using?

12. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the warm welcome,
    the filter sits on top of the tank in the hood, its basically a overflow type of box filter with media in it..
    Kunhardt I think its the same tank you used to start up with Jebo R338. I have no intention of adding any live stock yet, just more live rock and cycle the tank until I move. Will only add live stock when I get to JHB. Guys anyway of reviving that Pagoda.

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it here. Seeing that you're new, I suggest you read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info for beginners on cycling a tank, lights, etc ;)

14. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Thanks Tobes will do,, have realised very quickly how dif marine is to fresh water :eek:

15. Annoying

Annoying

Your wallet will to:lol:

Hey and welcome to MASA!

The ceramic rings and filter pad you can remove, these guys just trap detritus and causes algae blooms. Rather just fill it up with charcoal and let it run. You can keep the pas and rings but only if you clean them almost daily but that's not worth it.

What are you intending to keep coral wise? This will determine if the flow is overkill and if the lighting is to low. Just a quick info on the general (every species have their exceptions as do corals)

Soft corals: Easy

Low-medium lighting: T5 lighting is usually enough
    Low flow as they have soft bodies
    Doesn't need feeding and additives aren't really needed

LPS (Large Polyped Stony) corals: Easy-Medium

Medium-high lighting : T5 to Metal halide
    Low-medium flow as if the flow is to strong their soft skimmed polyps may get injured on their hard calcium bodies.
    Doesn't need feeding but does do better when given, additives aren't really needed but calcium and iodide should be in check.

SPS (Small Polyped Stony) corals: Medium-Hard

High lighting : Great amount of T5 or else just Metal Halide
    High flow as they catch small plankton in the streams of water
    Also doesn't need feeding but supplements are needed as these corals grow fast and easily use up the minerals in your water, what supplements you need depends on the water usage

NPS (Nano Polyped Stony) corals: Experts ONLY
    No lighting needed as they live in darkness but they will do fine in light
    High flow to move food particles to the polyps mouths
    They need to be fed 2-4 times a week with marine snow or other types of microscopic food sorts.

16. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Annoying.
    Realised how much you can spend in a very short time.
    Was thinking of going with softies - mushrooms, leathers, zoanthids, kenya's etc.
    I'm just a bit worried that the flow from the vibration pump may be a bit too much for them.
    Still early days need to cycle this tank properly and get mor live rock in there.
    any suggestions on how much live rock I should have.

17. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

1kg/10l water... oh, and welcomeani

18. junaidd

junaidd Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice and warm welcome.:thumbup:
    I realise now how much of work I have ahead of me but am really looking forward to it.

19. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

You do man but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it... :biggrin:

20. Munky82

Munky82

Welcome !
    Good to see a fellow baainaar!

21. Annoying

Annoying

The softies are great and easy to keep, but I would just rather add more lighting to the stock lighting as that wouldn't be enough to let the softies grow nicely. Just add another 2x 8watts that should be sufficient for now (and I say that for a reason:whistling:). The flow can easily be masked by the live rock. With proper placement and right direction your tank will have just the right flow and as little as possible detritus settlement. 1kg to 10 liters is usually a good rule of thumb, this depends on what live rock you buy. If it's very porous like fiji rock then a 1 kg rock will be twice as big as say a Kenyan rock. Just try to get as much as possible in such a small system,but still leave the front open for the fish and remember to create caves.

Recent Posts