Noob again - very thin thread like things

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Apologies, feel like I'm spamming here, but appears I'm not a natural at this reef tank thing and google is not my friend !

Got some very fine thread like tentacles emerging from under a rock - thought at first it was one of my missus's blonde hairs fallen in, but then saw it move against the flow !

On closer inspection there are more than one and they have intermittent black lines across them. Looks a little a like a spider web fluttering across the rock - this is best pic I could get :

1b2aab734ba95af9166b6072e9cc4f39.jpg

Last edited:
Bristle star?

Mmmmm, pondered that. My research lead me down that and the serpent star route. I think the scale kills my perception. What I see in tank and what I see on screen are hard to reconcile.

The tentacles look smooth too me to, no hairlike appendages.

Edit: Assuming it is a brittle star - good , bad ?

Last edited:
That does not look like a brittle star to me but more like spionid worm. Check this link Spionid worm | Melev's Reef

Thanks Clowning ! Will investigate that angle. Quick q if I may - panic / no panic if it is a spionid worm in your opinion ?

Currently they are far enough away from anything that stealing food is not a problem. Just want to nip any potential pest in the bud before they become a problem :)

PS. Yup, I sweat the small stuff sometimes :)

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about the cyano bacteria

Misplaced in my tank thread : but -

Hold on a second, severe noob alert ! That purple stuff on the rocks is coraline right ? Cyano is the light fluffy like discoloration on the sand and lightly on the rock ? Think a FTS is over due !!!

Any experienced reefers in Benoni drink beer or whisky and at a loose end ? PM and pop past for a consult please !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom