Non-return Valve

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would just like some advice on a non-return valve.

I would like to put a non-return valve on my return pumps line to prevent the sump from flooding in the event of a power/pump failure. I have watched quite a number of videos of guys in the USA using clear non-return valves (they are called True Union Swing Check Valves) as per my image. I can't seem to find any of these available in SA and would like to know if a non-return valve, like the ones used on swimming pools and irrigation, would be a viable substitute?

I was at Waterware in Centurion and the salesperson informed me that non-return value is opened under 1Bar of pressure, would this significantly reduce my flow from my return pump? (I am planning on running a Jebao DCP 4000).

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Reaction score
Sorry can't help you with the valve. But what I've done is I drilled two small holes into the return pipes. Just below the water level. So if there is a syphon the syphon breaks much quicker. As soon as the water goes below the holes the syphon stops.

Reaction score
Sorry can't help you with the valve. But what I've done is I drilled two small holes into the return pipes. Just below the water level. So if there is a syphon the syphon breaks much quicker. As soon as the water goes below the holes the syphon stops.
That's an excellent idea, thank you so much

Reaction score
I think somwere here on masa there was a discussion about these valves. But if I remember they can fail when a snail or something get stuck in them. Can't remember the whole story.

Reaction score
I think somwere here on masa there was a discussion about these valves. But if I remember they can fail when a snail or something get stuck in them. Can't remember the whole story.
I think I may have found that tread now, but the holes drilled in the piping does seem to work quite well after I tested it yesterday so I think I might just stick with them and leave the non-return valve out.

Top Bottom