Noisy Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by Manic, 23 Feb 2010.

1. Manic

Manic Moderator

Hey everyone,

Fired up my brand new orca 135 skimmer today and it is crazy noisy. Gives off a humming sound. When I take the venturi off the skimmer is dead silent. Also if I pinch the air tube closed it is silent. It is just when the venturi is on. Is it supposed to be like this because it is getting a bit irritating. The pump is OTP3000 with pin wheel impeller. How can I make it quieter?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. neo

neo

My ORCA100 sounded like a woodpecker, OTP2000 pump, only when connected to the actual housing.
    Took it back to Lanzo and he changed the impellar (warranty) and now it's dead-silent.
    You can give it a week to see if it is run-in issue, after that take it back to have the impell changed.
    (by the look of it mine's impell was bend, don't know how this happens on something new - manufactured like that i suppose)

4. Manic

Manic Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks Neo. I'll give it a few more days. If it still sounds like it does I'll take the pin wheel back to get replaced.

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

manic we need to see some pics of this new setup dude

6. Manic

I'm just waiting for the sand to settle. Kinda chucked it in all at once. Can't see 1cm into my tank at the moment. Its getting better though. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Manic - can you please post a pic of the "venturi" that you took off? I rather think that you are talking about the air "silencer" (which is not a silencer in your case)... ;)

The venturi is directly part of the pump - right at the outlet of the pump - where the airline connects to. And as far as I know - you cannot easily remove the "venturi".... ;)

8. Manic

It is the venturi believe me I know. The venturi is the front section that is attached to the pump, where the inlet diameter reduces in order to create a lower than atmospheric pressure in the water, this in turn draws air through the air pipe and silencer. I screwed it off the front of the pump. The silencer is just part of the outlet of the skimmer. I'm just saying when there is no air entering the skimmer it is dead silent. The minute I connect the venturi and air inlet the pump vibrated and doesn't sound good at all.

9. jacquesb

LOL Manic - OK - OK. You got me. You CLEARLY DO know! ;) But - then - this still leaves the question. Why does the venturi section cause this noise? Perhaps the water flow is either too much or too little around the pump? Perhaps a lack of water around the "Venturi section" of the skimmer pump?

Or perhaps too many "air bubbles"?

10. Manic

I think it might be too much air entering the skimmer. Gonna put some enkamat on the impeller tomorrow and see what happens.

11. jacquesb

Perhaps - try and move the skimmer around in the sump compartment (I PRESUME (I know - this is dangerous!) that the skimmer is an "in-sump" skimmer?) - and see if this makes a difference to the sound - perhaps higher up, or lower down?

12. Manic

I just moved it now and it is resting on the siliconed edges of the sump. It is a lot quieter. Maybe it needs some rubber feet or something. Thanks jacquesb.

13. jacquesb

14. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

the reason for the vibration is that most pumps are not designed to pump air. those pumps are meant to pump water only and as the Chinese do best they make a plan. Once the air is drawn into the skimmer the resistance changes and the impeller is not balanced. Also the reason for the impellers not lasting as long as they normally do or the bushes on the ends of the impeller shafts wearing out quickly.

Recent Posts