Noisy Sicce Pumps

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Andreas, 17 Aug 2012.

1. Andreas

Andreas

Hi Guys,

Not sure if I'm paranoid, but this is the second brand new Sicce pump that I've noticed makes quite a bit of noise during operation. Has anyone noticed the same thing with these pumps??? The latest addition is the 4000 model, but the previous one I used for less than a day and attributed the noise to the head height I hoped the pump would handle. Only the Hailea 6550 was able to give me what I required at the time.

The new 4000 model is pushing less than 1.5m with the recommended pipe diameter. My "cheapy" H20 which I bought when I started with this hobby a couple of years ago hasn't missed a beat and runs dead quite on the same setup.......

I've got 2 Hailea's (6550 + 6540) both still in excellent condition lying around, but I'm after a more efficient return pump now. What other options are there?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

my Sicce 4000 LPH also was noisy in the beginning but seams to have (run in now)

4. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

swop it for a sicce syncra silent, i had a multi 4000 give me the same hassel once, probably just bad luck in obtaining the odd jut pump ......i have sold many though with no hassel, but now i just push the syncra silent.....its in a league of its own for the price

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I tried a Sicce silence. and it was not silent :(. Maybe just a bad pump.
    Took it back the next day and upgraded to Water Blaster HW5000. And its better but a lot more expensive. Just ensure that the pump body does not touch any glass as that will cause vibrations.

6. mytank

mytank

Ditto I tried the silence 5000, the only thing it was - not silent !!!

I bought a tunze - it does what it says - its silent!

7. rakabos

rakabos

Yeah my experience with Sicce pumps is also a lot of noise. Especially the PSK skimmer pumps.

8. Jayceew

Jayceew

I have a Sicce Syncra Silent and it's very silent even with it being throttled back quite a lot, probably a hit and miss scenario.

9. Furbz

Furbz

ditto on all the above.

seemes sicce pumps have a noise flaw?

10. Submariner

Submariner

Guys the Sicce pumps are very good pumps the M series are very robust pumps but require a little lets say finesse whan fitting, they dont like to be throttled to much and can become noisey when restricted with a valve. Placement of a flexi pipe between the pump and hard plumbing can often solve any noise issues. Lastly i have aslo found pipe size is also important on the M series and normally go with a 32mm pipe to make sure flow is not restricted.

The Sicce Syncra series are very quiet and are a more forgiving with fitment and i have only had a problem on one or two occasions with noise on these pumps and this was only for a day or so.

11. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Getting a syncra silent 4 this weekend so will have to see how it goes...

12. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

The pump even makes noise when it freely pumps water around in the sump, this even whilst holding it in my hand. Glass surface nowhere to be seen:whistling:

Natahan, I'm currently using flexi pipe for the return with no restrictions whatsoever (besides 2 X 90 degree elbows at the top).

Left the pump to run last night as I was to lazy to take it back out. Still hear vibration and humming noises from the sump:eek:

13. Submariner

Submariner

Are we talking Sicce Silent pump or one of the Sicce M pumps?

14. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Multi 4000.

I see there are different models out at the moment.

Multi
    Silent
    Extrema/Suprema etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Has the Multi been discontinued?

15. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Just an update - The pump has been running for 2 days now, but the noise is still evident. It might have gone a bit a quieter or my hearing is fading, but still by far, the most noisiest piece of equipment on my setup.

Perhaps it is a just a "bad" pump. Anyway, will replace it or just settle for a Eheim or Tunze if it re-occurs.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2012
  16. seahunter

seahunter

Hi Andreas , I also had the same problem with my Sicce Multi 4000, it used to vibrate alot with a kinda loud humming sound , after about a month the vibration stopped , a further month and the humming stopped .
    A few weeks with the pump running silent , I had an issue with high calcium , so I decided to clean out my pumps off calcium deposit. I saw no calcium deposits when I stripped the Sicce but I decided to clean off the slim build-up anyway. After returning for normal operation , the vibration and humming noise was BACK .
    It ran for about a month and began running silent again, even up to today (4 months from purchase)
    So I suppose you just got to run that Sicce in (build up some slim)
    Hope this helps .

17. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

Interesting and makes sense. Returned the pump. Might just run my brand new 6540 which is 20W more for now and look at a replacement pump.

18. rakabos

rakabos

Needing to run a pump in? What a load of BS. If a pump is so noisy and it needs "slime" to calm down then there is something very wrong with the design if you ask me. Even one of the sponsors said to me these pumps are hit & miss with noise, so that in itself tells us something

19. seahunter

seahunter

rakabos, Im sorry if you feel that my comment is "BS" , was just giving my experience with sicce and hoping to help fellow MASA's. I did not state that the sicce is not defective

20. rakabos

rakabos

Hi

You misunderstood, i didnt mean to aim it at you, but at Sicce. A lot of people say these need to be run in, and the fact that it needs to be run in is not acceptable

21. Andreas

Andreas Thread Starter

I agree. Pumps that are reasonably cheaper run much quiter than the 2 sicce's I've purchased. This is unacceptable for an Quality Italian Pump as is claimed:(

Recent Posts