Noisy overflow

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by mariusmeyer, 3 Aug 2009.

1. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Hi guys

My name is Marius (as in my username) and is busy converting my freshwater setupo into marine.

I drilled 2 50mm holes in the back panel for the external durso overflows. The overflow on the inside of the tank is just a 90 degree elbow facing up. And you can see what the back of the tank looks like. On my return I have an Lifetech AP4660 pumping at 4800LPH so I would imagine it would be around 3000-3500LPH after headloss.

[​IMG]

No my problem is that the overflows are extremely noisy. It sucks air from the inside of the tank as it creates a vortex and causes a running water noise on the inside of the pipes. I have installed 2 ball valves to try and reduce the water speed but it did not help.

So I really need help in quieting these pipes down. Would it help if I change the back side of the pipes to straight down as in the next pic?

[​IMG]

I have even tried shoving a thinner pipe into the overflows to try and slow the water down but that did not help either.

I want to explore all possible options with using it this way but if it will not work then I will consider building 2 overflow boxes on the inside of the tank with the 90 degree elbow facing down.

I would really appreciate your opinions.

Thanks
    Marius

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

To me it looks like you have the elbows facing up. I normally have them facing down so that they are under the water.
    What size holes have you got drilled on the caps?

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer Thread Starter

Yes the elbows are facing up. This was done to get good surface skimming.

I have 10mm holes in the caps at the top drilled in the side so that I can twist the caps to reduce the gurgling sounds. Even if I take the cap completely off the elbows on the inside of the tank still creates a vortex above them and it sucks air.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If you turn the elbows the noise will go away.

Watch out for head height though.

6. mariusmeyer

If I just turn them around as they are now then they will drain quite a lot of water back into the sump when the power fails. I would have to build overflow boxes around them to stop this from happening.

Is there now way of insulating the pipes with a material that will reduce the sound?

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

hi marius i'm afraid to tell you two 50mm pipes is not good surface skimming. They are the reason for your noise and are actually quite ineffective. In my opinion you should remove them and modify your tank to set up a Corner to Corner overflow or a central box overflow. It is much more efficient this way and is a lot less hassle in the end, cause you may find down the line that your current overflow is more trouble than its worth and by then it would be a bit far along the lines, so rather take the time to set everything up properly the first time

8. Sentari

Sentari

Marius basically how mine is setup. I agree with scuba its the best way for skimming!

9. mariusmeyer

I'm starting to think that this might be the only way even though I dont like having boxes on the inside of the tank. Will still hold out a couple of days before I do it though. Maybe some genius can come up with another solution.

10. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

hi Marius,

the guys are right. do you know what is meant by a corner to corner overflow?

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If you really want to keep the elbows as they are you can fix the noise thing by piping a "U" behind the tank. This will stop air entering the return from the overflow and the durso hole.

So where the pipe comes through the tank fit a 90 elbow and go down about 400mm then come back up to your durso.

But yes a coast to coast is far better

12. mariusmeyer

I know what a C2C overflow is. I just don't like taking that amount of space away in my display. And as other people say is that you cause a shadow at the back of the tank. I would rather go for a smaller box in each top corner than go across the whole tank.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If you do not want boxes inside, why not put your overflow box externally?
    Being external the pressure on the glass will not be much, so you do not need 10mm glass.

Built the box around the outlets you got, With two elbows facing up, level with inside. And next to it in the box you got your durso standpipe, going down.

14. Dohn

Dohn MASA Contributor

or you could build a box on the back thats like a c2c overflow except it has a center overflow. You could use this make a sort of compartment for something or another, im thinking ATS, or small liverock pieces.

15. Voidrunner

Voidrunner

I've never tried this, but if you have one, put one of that round vacuum cleaner bristle brushes in the thing, maybe the bristles will even out the flow, and it will even stop any critters from getting in there. Many people might tell you it's not a good Idea, if they do, then don't do it, cause I'm still a noob at this :) Another thing that you might try is to connect a pool weir's lid upside down on the pipe and cut short grooves in the lid, this might help, it will also give you a larger skim area.

P.S. Sorry...did'nt see the post is so old....LOL

Last edited: 14 Feb 2012
  16. mariusmeyer

LOL. Thanks for reminding where I started. I sure learned a lot since then.

I ended up building 2 separate boxes in the corners and turned the elbows facing down as Nemos said. Had to add overflow teeth after the clowns went over. Cant believe its been 2 1/2 years since I did this.

Recent Posts