Noise Reduction

Reaction score
Any ideas on noise reduction

I find the return from my external skimmer and my return pump are the two noisiest items in my setup.

My skimmer outlet flows over LR.

Can you get quieter return pumps ?

Any ideas ?

Reaction score
hello, what return pump do you have? i know people recommend the aquamedic & eheim pumps 'cause they're pretty silent...

for the skimmer return, perhaps if you fill a small container with filter wool & let the skimmer return flow over that 1'st it could dampen the noise, but people have varied opinions on running filter wool but i guess this might be better 'cause the water is already clean from the skimmer so not much detritus should build up...

Reaction score
eheim pumps is nice and still, i know waldo is selling a 3000L one that was conected to the mantis tank( silent but violent)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr - how about putting some sponge below the outlet coming from the skimmer? This should reduce the "noise" of the water hitting the live rock in the sump, as well as the water that's already there, by some margin?
Not to sure about the return pump though. Where is the noise eminating from? The pump itself? or from the water hitting your water in the display tank from the return pipe?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Do the pumps rattle or just vibrate? Are they connected to flexible tubing or pvc?

Reaction score
Do the pumps rattle or just vibrate? Are they connected to flexible tubing or pvc?
PVC, pumps are just noiser, but the loudest noise is the water splashing on the LR from the skimmer

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr extend the pipe or put a 45degree bend on it to slow the flow a little. Failing that, turn the TV up.;)