Nocturnal worm ID please

Reaction score
Hello to all,

Oi , just as I thought things were settling down in my nano and allow me time to think about the corals ....... This little worm(s) makes an appearance.

For those of you that might have read some of my previous posts, will remember that I mentioned a worm which is highly sensitive to light and difficult to photograph.

Well, I eventually caught the little critter last night at about 21h00 . The worm(s) only appear at night after the main lights have been off for 2 hrs or so. The moment any light catches it, it retracts with lightning speed into it's hole.

There are 4 of these worms on different pieces of LR in my tank.

Any ideas as to what this might be ? ( Eunicid species ... hope not !):(

P1020692.jpg

Aaah. Cool , thanks Mike.

I was worried that I might have a particularly nasty predator worm on my LR.

The predatory worms usually come armed with some particulary nasy looking mouth parts, give the "bobbit worm" a google it should still be around.

The predatory worms usually come armed with some particulary nasy looking mouth parts, give the "bobbit worm" a google it should still be around.

Lol, a bobbit worm? Does it cut off fishes bits while they sleeping? :lol:

Lol, a bobbit worm? Does it cut off fishes bits while they sleeping? :lol:

No the phrase was coined by a bloke in the US with a particularly nasty worm in his tank, it seemed to stick, if not bobbit worm, try Oregon reef, that should have it.

Failing that just google eunice worms

If he has sharp teeth then he is a carnivore if they are flat then a herbivore.

So try look at his teeth.:whistling:

:p

:lol::lol:

I can just imagine myself : " Now be a good little worm and open wide... "

But seriously , I have looked at the Bobbit worms (Eunicidae sp.)
Nasty bits of work they are indeed. The photo I took looks disturbingly similar to what the Bobbit worm's tentacles look like.

These worms are visibly on various pieces of LR, and if they are in fact Bobbit worms I could have some issues trying to rid my tank of them

:lol::lol:

I can just imagine myself : " Now be a good little worm and open wide... "

But seriously , I have looked at the Bobbit worms (Eunicidae sp.)
Nasty bits of work they are indeed. The photo I took looks disturbingly similar to what the Bobbit worm's tentacles look like.

These worms are visibly on various pieces of LR, and if they are in fact Bobbit worms I could have some issues trying to rid my tank of them

Post up the piccy and lets have a look, if they are eunice worms....good luck.

1297496f00ed4ed33.jpg

Nasty looking thing, apparently is can slice its prey clean in half.

Thought maybe it was refering to John Wayne Bobbitt's wife...:p

Back
Top Bottom