No6 Hitchhiker Goniopora?

Reaction score
Is it posible to get a hitchhiker Goniopora?

Best pick I can get, it is encrusting with a hard skeleton. Small tubes with "flower" heads. To small to count the tentacles.

Started as a speck, now about a 50c size at its base and has formed a small dome.

304ecd506e6a655.jpg

Last edited:
To me it looks like a small toadstool leather.

I thought Porites was Hard Corals...? Mind you..I don't have a very good camera so I can never zoom in nicely and see the beautiful textures of my Corals in "close-up"...:p
Porites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is definitely a hard coral, the skeleton is visible when the polyps retract and i have touched the skeleton (don't ask).

Yes @belindamotion, Porites is hard corals, and in the SPS group, think in the same family as Goniopora.;)

The description for Porites say that the tentacles are far apart, but I think @Achilles is right and that it only looks dense and long because it is still such a small specimen.

Still happy, this is my second SPS hitchhiker discovered this month. Trying to get a pick of the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Achilles, it does look like a porites of sorts.
I have some in my tank and it doesnt seem to care much about where it grows regarding light/flow etc.

Where did you get this livrock that it came with so many hitch hikers? All i ever get is aiptasia, crabs and mantis shrimp.

Both from Perky Pets.

The other hitchhiker is growing from the plug the little birds-nest is on. I have put putty, glue and tons of fingers on it and it keeps on coming back.

Also think it is a porites, the kind that the little fan worms grow in, lets see.

Touch wood, so far no aiptasia, no nudies, no mantis, onlyone is Hellboy, one very smart crab.

Last edited:
Hi Len, where did you get the good quality live rock from with so much life on it. Dont see such good live rock in CPT these days.

Back
Top Bottom