NO3=0.5 and PO4=0.08, where too now?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by carlosdeandrade, 4 Oct 2012.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

This is to all the cube boffs out there (somewhat lost in all this cube story, well not really:p) @irie ivan, @dallasg, @KillerWhale. I added my cubes to my system about 7 days ago; that I removed from my FOWLR system. My reef was already sitting at 4ppm NO3 and 0.08ppm PO4, today my readings have dropped to the above. Remember that I have been dosing with NO3PO4-X four about six months (I guess two forms of C dosing might work together, who knows what them bacteria are doing in there:biggrin:).
    So where too now, more cubes, gfh, titanium (when it comes out...)? What do the experts think.
    No intense brainarobix here, being doing ironing and that makes my arm muscle work harder which in turn makes my left hemisphere mush!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

What is the tank literate?
    I would add nitra guard biocubes to top it off, even titanium if you running GFH already

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I am by no means an expert with such low parameters Carlos. But - I would say. "LEAVE IT THERE". Just monitor it and don't worry about it anymore ;)

With such low readings, your SPS is already "popping". Perhaps you can get some more intense lighting? ;) Too see exactly HOW SPS colors can "pop"! ;)

For your fish and other corals - these low parameters have now real use... LOL...

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Also all depends on what you keeping, will need to read your thread

7. carlosdeandrade

Ok will do, tank hold 360 without rocks, about 330 with. Not running any GFH yet, maybe I should or just wait for titanium, oh the impatience of it all!

Yeah corals are great. I run 240watts of LEDs sits above 300mm above the water (each led is 3w, 36 white, 36 royal blue and 8uv [think these are a waste]) Waiting to see if my Seriatopora changes to pink, and have noticed that my red plating monti has light pink edges to it. Just worried about some of my softies and my hammer and froggie, they still look great, but for how long!

thanks for the advice!

8. carlosdeandrade

90% softies @dallasg, but slowly moving off into SPS, taking the dive.......Still want to keep some softies, see how they fare, at the moment only one tiny colony seems unhappy, shedding its zoas, see them floating around.

9. carlosdeandrade

10. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

The secret balance is NSW levels, ie. not measurable by our shoddy hobby grade kits! Yes, I said that, but I know we cant all afford mass spectroscopy...

how are you running your cubes. Go read what I posted about EBPR as a hint. On - Off cycle.

First top off your cubes to get rid of a bit more NO3, then try what I "discovered" by accident.

Alternatively, get some GFH...

11. carlosdeandrade

Ok, will do, read some of your EBPR,but only the first article, will, look for it now. Running it through last compartment in sump using a bomp method (compartment that guys place filter pads in, never used them), before return compartment.

12. carlosdeandrade

LOL. PO4 of 0.0005ppm, did you hear that, it was castle in the sky falling down. LOL

13. ScottK

ScottK

Congrats on the low levels, my levels are similar and have been stable for 2 weeks now with no water changes. These cubes really are a winner.

14. carlosdeandrade

Nice to have it that low, lowest they have ever been. However, this is new territory for me, will be keeping a sharp eye on my system and LS. What type of LS do you have @ScottK?

15. carlosdeandrade

@irie ivan, bud, can't find what you mean by
    so please do share, or point me there.:biggrin:

16. irie ivan

17. carlosdeandrade

Ok get it now, add GFH to a reactor, run for about eight hours and then off for eight.....am I on the right track, or is the time experimental? We want to create a low oxygen state in the reactor for the GFH to create a mini EBPR state, then create a oxygen rich GFH state?

18. irie ivan

Nope! The cubes create the EBPR state. not the gfh. Either try the on off cycle if you run cubes in a reactor of sorts, or get some gfh to drop your PO4 to 0.03. A top off of the cubes should bring your PO4 down to 0 too.

If you gonna try EBPR, ensure that if they in a reactor, when reactor feed is off, cubes dont dry out. Dunno how possible EBPR is with the bomb method.... Have not really gotten into it with Mark...

19. carlosdeandrade

Ok, thanks for doing my homework!:blush: Will place cubes in a reactor without the bomb method, top up with more cubes and also run GFH (or give cubes a chance to do some more work), only problem will my red sea max test kist be able to give an accurate reading (have the new ones), will also test using salifert, or go to idol marine and let them use a hanna test. Very excited, lets see what happens!

20. irie ivan

Thats a test, the rest is just an indication / toy.

Run cubes in reactor, four hours on and four off, then see what happens. Ensure outlet is close to skimmer intake. just before first on cycle after off cycle, smell water in reactor to ensure no sulphur smell. It shouldn't happen, but it is a concern I have.

21. carlosdeandrade

Sharp! Feel like a lab rat, man did I do some strange things to rats when I was studying, maybe it's karma coming to get me!:)
    Recap, four on, four off, skimmer outlet, rotten egg smell=BAD!:biggrin:

Last edited: 4 Oct 2012
Recent Posts