No water changes

Reaction score
This is something i have not seen work for me but i know Dallasg often spoke about and it seems some people have success with it and i mean real good success although im sure limiting fish population is essential to this method

I try to keep my system simplistic. I last changed the water in my aquarium 3 years and 8 months ago. At that time, it was basically as I was setting my current aquarium up in September 2008. Since then I just add freshwater by pouring it into the aquarium. Every two weeks I use a calcium chloride additive to supplement calcium depletion. I also add magnesium chloride, magnesium sulphate, and sodium hydrogen carbonate (baking soda). These additives keep my calcium, alkalinity, and my magnesium at proper levels. Occasionally, I will add Lugols. I also add live marine phytoplankton at times..
Reefkeeping Magazine - Tank of the Month June 2012

Last edited:
i think on big tanks with low stock. If food was generated in tank you would have an eco system but if you keep putting things in like food there will be nutrient increase

I have done this for the last two years on my 850 litre reef aquarium. Same regime as DallasG
However, the filtration system has to be almost perfect.
I do find that a monthly water change of at least 10% with NSW really does make a huge difference with some of the depleted minerals/trace elements and to add a fresh breed of bacteria to ensure the genetic strength. Infact a 25 litre is all i needed if i did do water change.
Its important to have a stable constant type of filtration system. No swopping or changing the type of filters being used. Stick to a method and allow it to settle and find its natural balance.

I am also one of them people not doing too many waterchanges per year, but...... Less waterchanges, means more additives to replace trace elements...... Which is gonna be cheaper for you in the long run??? And we normally do not promote this way to newbies as waterchanges are still benificial and crucial to a good healthy tank.

I haven't changed my water since i started my new tank... I just add 15-25 litres of water a day. Due to evaporation only, I do however suppliment Mag Cal and Stro and Traces.

I never do water changes in my tanks. I do add Tropic Marin bio calcium which contains alk, calcium, magnesium and over 70 trace elements. I had great success using this method but when I switched to a calcium reactor I had to start doing water changes as I believe some of the trace elements were not being replaced.

Before a person stops doing water changes its important to know your tank and know your corals first. Learn the signs of when things are not right. And this only comes with experience.

Hmmmmm I never use to do water changes but then I was keeping LPS only and limited fish.

I think this is a "depends" and experience discussion.

Depends:
If you have a way overated skimmer x3 or x4 your volume.

If you have a large water volume behind your DT like a x3 sump to DT ratio

If you have low stocking levels. I want to see someone with a normal skimmer and heavily stocked tank get away from water changes.

If you know you tank - agree with this comment and something I have become recently very aware of is knowing my tank and how it behaves.

Experience:

This talks to knowing your tank again.

Also know how to deal with issues quickly if they arise.

Keeping all your other husbandry activities spot on!

I never use to do them, I do them now even though its automated, I would keep on doing them. The tank is happy and I have a few more free dosing pump heads ;)

Back
Top Bottom