No water changes advice.

Reaction score
So ive been seeing multiple ways that people have setup their systems so that they dont do water changes.
Anyone here running a mixed reef/sps reef and have their reef setup in a way that they dont need to do water changes?

if so how did you guys achieve it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You’ll have to dose to keep your parameters in check. I run a calcium reactor, makes life a lot easier. I still siphon my tanks sump every now and then to get rid of detritus, so small water changes.

Reaction score
I run a SPS dominated tank without big water changes. Now and then small quantities when you siphon the tank or when I need water for QT. As MacSakkie said, you have to dose or go the Calc reator route to supplement trace elements etc. and you have to do some maintenance.

Reaction score
@Joshua1 is the guy to speak to regarding this. Glenn Fong's DSR method is also really incredible, there is a calculator to work out what you need to does etc. happy to share if you're interested.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback. In terms of dosing. What do you guys use? i keep seeing the brstv 2 part but i cant see anything similiar other than Focus 1 and Focus 2 from seachem.

Reaction score
I dose fuel and trace elements, haven't done a single water change in 6 months. Star polos, button polos, mushrooms and hammer are doing well and fish are super healthy.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for their feedback. I really appreciate it . Im just finishing up the basic stand and il begin posting up some pics :m01: Does anyone here know someone that might help me out with a par meter? i saved up and finally got the Zetlight 6800 II but i have absolutely no idea what the par values would be in my system.