No Skimmer?

What kind of skimmer are you using

• Total voters

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I ran a nano without a skimmer for a year. Just need to do large water changes. Not so easy with bigger systems.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I can't imagine a medium to bigger 100L+ setup running without a skimmer. Seeing what my skimmer gets out, would never go without one either.

Awvince

Here fishie fishie
Reaction score
I'm currently running my tank skimmerless, need to do regular and religious water changes.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
It's a natural filtration method which does not use a skimmer but revolves around a plenum (I think). Lots of info on it.

Reaction score
Thanx, if I read the link right, it works more or less like a dsb - however, it's Like you said Gali - I see the amount of guck I take out with a skimmer, and according to this method, nothing is "taken out" of the system, hence, where does the muck and guck go?

Am I on the wrong path here?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Reaper - Yeah - it works much like a DSB. I think that the combination of macro algae used, micro critters, and fish, use up the "gunk". Think of the "marine version" of a fresh water tank... In a "complete fresh water system" you balance the type of plants and fish (think of a plecostumus (sp?)) that you don't have to do ANYTHING anymore to maintain the system..... I had it down to a T at a time - then I started marines - then I became DUMB again....

Oh yes - and water changes are sometimes done ;-)

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
You can definitely run a system with out a skimmer, in fact DR had a great little 100L system running on T8 and skimmer less. You have to be very aware of your stocking levels and your water changes. As you guys have said you only have to see a good skimmer in action to know the benefits of having it on the system. A system with a skimmer tends to be far more forgiving than one without.