No more laws!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by viper357, 8 May 2014.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've really had enough of it now, so many threads polluted with posts about this law and that law and everybody disagreeing with each other about what law is correct or what it means or how it's interpreted. It's completely killing off threads and is ruining peoples enjoyment of keeping a tank. It's ok having one or two dedicated threads about it, but to come online after a hard day at work and read 3 threads and ALL of them have been sidetracked by talking about unknown, imaginary laws, really grates my goat.

This is a HOBBY forum, NOT a policing forum. With all due respect, please keep law issues off of the forum so that we can enjoy our aquariums, thank you.

Last edited: 9 May 2014
    nakoma likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Snoek

Snoek

Well said Dean.

4. Seabass

Seabass

viper357 for president

5. botes

botes

I do agree:1:

6. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry if I was a bit abrupt but I was very grumpy last night. :p To clarify, laws regarding local collection and local selling will always be upheld. I'm referring to the unknown so called new laws relating to seahorses and fragging etc. Please start dedicated threads about these if you want to discuss them and try to keep it out of the normal threads. Thank you.

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

With all due respect, when you're dealing with wild animals then laws and conservation are a big part of it. If these matters were never discussed then you might not have a hobby left.

8. viper357

Yes, but what I'm saying is, start dedicated threads for it, don't go and take so many other non-related threads off topic, keep all the info in one place. The forum is slowly turning into a policing platform, and that must stop.

9. jclaas

jclaas

And there is probably enough open threads we can use for these discussions.

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

We must've had the same bug last night, I was also very grumpy! :D is it a full moon?

11. viper357

Justification for my grumpiness:

People keep asking why members are leaving the forum or not posting any more, here's a perfect example of why....

A member posts videos about his breeding of clownfish, somebody makes a totally off topic, one line comment about the laws, next thing the member deletes all his videos and hasn't made another post since.

We could have had some excellent information coming from him about breeding, but instead we lost him. That really, REALLY annoys me. How is that of any benefit to anyone????? Thread in question - Clownfish Breeding South Africa - Marine Aquariums South Africa

12. jclaas

jclaas

I was explaining to him why no one was replying to his thread.

13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Then please explain to him, on a personal level, how your misinformed knowledge of the Laws chased him away and get him to put back his videos. I fail to understand how you show him posts of people getting arrested, then soon afterwards post pics of your "success".

14. jclaas

jclaas

cool cool

Last edited: 10 May 2014
  15. leeban

leeban

Definately Agree with whats being said.

16. sniper

sniper

Im going to agree with what @viper357 is saying but also support @jclaas , I will agree with with viper simply because if you have a breeding section on the forum you simply want to post about your success and failures regarding your attempt to breed which is relatively difficult and the least you expect to hear is someone telling you what's allowed and what is illegal. Are you supposed to just let your eggs be eaten by other fish when you can do something, because it might be prohibited? But at the same time the reason why I support jclaas , is I personally don't see anything wrong with his comment, he is simply stating the truth, when I was researching on how to raise clownfish fry I bumped into the whole issue around the legality, so knowing how reefers love researching, most have already bumped into the material (on/outside MASA) regarding the legality and hence they don't want to be associated with the topic of breeding.

A side note
    To validate Jclaas's comment, I am on my second attempt of trying to raise clownfish fry and this time i haven't been posting as I am afraid of the legal implications. What I think the Mods need to do is to take a solid stance on the issue of breeding e.g to say that the material you post here will not be used as evidence to prosecute you.. I'm not a lawyer but I think If we have something which ensures that members are protected, members would not be afraid of responding and commenting on topics where the legality is not clear.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. jclaas

jclaas

Thank you for your support.
    I will tell @viper357 and the rest of the forum that i will not post such information again. At the end of the day it is my post that scared the member away, but allow me to say that that was not my intention.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

How do you know that?

Could it not have been the realization that what one posts can be used in evidence should the action be needed in any law transgression? Every post on MASA, social media, other forums leaves a trail of ones activities.

Whilst this trail can be distractive and a deterant to members. It should be highlighted to members that are venturing into contentious areas as to the possible congrescion.

The law is interpreted in different ways by some, and different legislations takes precedence over each other and difficult to interperate.

However whilst I agree with Dean in that it is irritating to read posts that put a damper on threads, those posts also inform a poster of the possible congrescion of the law.

I do not know of a solution how to handles this sensitive subject. One the one hand we want information to flow and on the other we want to protect the fellow reefers from possible prosicution due to ignorance.

This I suppose is open for debate. But worth consideration.

19. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Cool, sorted!

Since you know him, please invite him back!

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This is something to consider. short view.

Stop members from warning others about legislation and let others incriminate themselves.

21. Jacques87

Jacques87

You will all hear from me soon. I didn't disappear because of jclaas. He has actually helped me out alot. If you want to view my progress, search for Jacques Lombaard on youtube. Do not ask me any questions on public threads or youtube, as I will not answer.

You can send me a private message or ask for my bbm pin.

As soon as I have the permits to breed marine life, I will be launching a website with all my knowledge and experiences.

I have 13 mis-barred occelerious clownfish.

Enjoy the weekend guys and smile.

I am also building a whole new clownfish SYSTEM next week, might upload the video

Last edited by a moderator: 9 May 2014
Recent Posts