No life in dsb

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by gaboon, 20 Feb 2008.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I've noticed in the last 2 weeks I have no life (pods etc.) in/on my dsb. There also seems to be less in my main tank. What could cause this? I added a sixline ±2 weeks ago but that wouldn't affect my sump. Should I swop the piece of LR on my dsb for LR in main tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Gaboon - did this change "all of a sudden"? So, did you indeed have some pods in your tank AND in your sump DSB, but now you noticed you do NOT have any life anymore?

I would suggest to get some "life sand" from a fellow reefer's DSB (just a small amount should be enough - IF this is from a long-time established tank).... This should re-populate your DSB in your sump.

Did you perhaps experience any salinity issues or temperature fluctuations (in the extremes) in the past week or so?

4. DragonReef

DragonReef

Hi Gaboon, the sixline will defineatly descimate any life in your display. They are foragers of note.

How old is the DSB ?

5. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Tank is just over 2 months old. Noticed little crawlies within 2 weeks. Temp and salinity all good. Live sand will definitely help but I dont think it would solve the problem.

Do reefers rely on pods etc. getting sucked from the main tank into the dsb chamber?

6. jacquesb

Hi Gaboon - Only in right in the beginning. After the life "goes down the big bad pipe" they start breeding in the sump - in the DSB (in-sump). This is unless there is something in the sump that preys on them too....

Yes - the wrasse can definitely desimate the life in the tank - BUT this should not directly impact the life in the DSB in the sump!

7. moz

moz

I thought I had no pods left until I used a torch to look at my tank/sump at night, there were plenty.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmhh.that is strange.no way the sixline could effect life in your DSB

9. DragonReef

DragonReef

2 months is a very young DSB.

How was the DSB seeded ? Live sand / rock.

Gaboon, don't stress too much at this point. A healthy functioning DSB can take anything from 6 months to a year to mature. If you can try and add some diversity to it, speak to fellow hobbyists in your area and arrange to swap some sand. Just a handful is enough. Check in with your local LFS and scrounge the little left over pieces of live rock that have broken off and settled in the bottom of their live rock holding tanks and sprinkle that over your DSB.

Then sit back and wait :D

10. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks guys, gonna leave the chaeto's light off tonight and surprise it with the torch. I would have some beers but its a school night:)

11. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I also had my goggas in the dsb disapearing and in the end realised the cause is the chiller that I installed recently. I have very little space behind my tank and the chiller was placed against the sump where the dsb sits. The hot air was heating the sand up in a big way. I moved the chiller away 4 days ago and last night I could see the goggas moving around again.

12. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

checked last night, the dsb is DEAD! absolutely nothing crawling around. Something has killed the crawlies. Gonna swop a piece of LR from the main tank today. I had a big blue legged hermit in the sump for ± 5 days about 3 weeks ago, could that be the cause? I'm really stumped on this one.

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Shouldn't be I have loads of hermits in my sump and loads of pods alive. One thing I did notice, is soon as I introduced macro algae that when I started seeing loads of life

14. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

I've had chaeto in there for nearly 2 weeks now

15. jacquesb

Hi Gaboon - Definitely won't be the hermit.... Do you have filter-wool running anywhere?
    Do you perhaps see "black blotches" when looking at the DSB from the side of the sump (below the surface of the DSB)?
    How's your water-flow through the sump and over the top of the DSB?
    Could you perhaps post a few pics of the DSB? ie, one from the top, a few from the sides? And also some pics of the sump in general?
    Do you see any difference in the behaviour of the fish / corals / inverts IN the tank perhaps? Any other "strange" happenings in the tank, ie. some unexplained algae or bacterial growth?

Recent Posts