No choice, but time to frag my torch !!!

Discussion in 'Fragging Corals' started by Sammy, 16 Nov 2011.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Hi peeps, as much as I don't want too, but the time has come to frag my beloved torch coral, although my prized tank inmate ???

If I had a choice I would just leave him be, but just getting too big and taken out my staghorn SPS in a chemical warfare battle.

Before I embark on this delicate task I will appreciate ANY tips and pointers from anyone who has valuable experience to share. I've heard some horror stories about the skeleton breaking etc.. :-(

The Monster:

[​IMG]

The Staghorn (the victim):

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Hope this helps...

Beginners guide to fragging corals - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    These can be one of the easiest corals to frag. The individual heads are on their own skeleton, so it is just a matter of cutting the heads off below the living tissue on the coral skeleton. Depending on the thickness of the skeleton you may be able to simply snap off a piece, use coral shears or use a saw or Dremel to cut through the skeleton. For thicker skeletons like on the hammer corals I will be using I prefer to use a Dremel with a diamond bit cutting tool. I also tend to shy away from the snapping methods as it can sometimes damage the coral polyps.

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

link belinda gave is good. I wouldnt break the heads as you might just break the whole skeleton into pieces and/or damage the coral. When you cut,just be careful not to cut through the flesh of the coral and that you only cut through skeleton. its an easy coral to frag if you carefull. its an awesome loking torch by the way.

5. Mc

Mc

I had one of those horror stories when fragging my torch. Just be careful when you get to the last part, when I tried to snap it I shattered the whole head. Are you gonna be using a dremmel, it has a really hard skeleton.

6. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Hi there, thanks so much for the tips so far, @belindamotion, I will read the article tonight.

Maybe now is the time I need to invest in one ???

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. rakabos

rakabos

Had the same issue, torch got too big and had to trim it back!

Irritate it a bit so it closes up, then have a look at the base where there are thinner areas in the skeleton. You can use coral clippers or similar to snip it off. You can then, dip iodine for a few seconds to prevent any infection. In my case I didn't, the cut was quite clean. Didn't have any issues after the procedure.

8. ed

ed

just gently break the coral where is splits. only the head contains living tissue. the older the coral, the more brittle the skeleton becomes. some times it breaks by itself.

your euphyllia looks still small with just a few heads, i would move the other corals away out of the reach if his sweeper tentacles. but it's your choice.

anyway there is no tissue in the skeleton so the animal is not hurt and should expand quickly after being place in it's new position.

9. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

I'm about to do the same with my torch... Only problem is I'm battling to find someone to take the double header I'm going to frag... Anyone?

10. belindamotion

I have to do mine too...:(..getting to big for my TL-450 and my Zoa's are loosing the battle...I know I can't frag it...:(...to afraid too...:(..excuse the glass...haven't cleaned in about 3 weeks...
    [​IMG]

11. 2balive

2balive

@Sammy, what are you planning to do with the frag? I can give it an house if you are looking for it.

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the crutial part here is to have enough "DEAD" area in the stalk to perform the fragging.. and the right tools will make the job an easy one..

ed's advice is good and i fully agree.. it might need a little more time to grow out before fragging can take place.. also look at the base where the tissue is yuo sometimes find little babies forming there which can be plucked off with a tweezer and superglued onto another rock...

13. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

@Len, I will be looking for new homes for the frags, So if I take the plunge and all goes well, 1 will have your name on it !

14. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

@belindamotion, you go first ... :lol:

15. Mastazee

Mastazee

there is always a choice get a bigger tank :tt2:

16. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

Please DON'T go there, the thought has been popping once too often in my mind :lol:

I'm totally out of space at the moment ???

17. belindamotion

Ditto on both accounts....:lol::lol::lol:

18. Mastazee

Mastazee

Break the wall down man unless you live in a tank there is always place:tt2:

19. Sammy

Sammy Thread Starter

That's not living space but tank space ??? I don't have ANY place even for a few prized frags, what a dilemma :035::035:

20. zak

zak

@belindamotion and @Sammy What do you guys do to get your torches looking like that?? Did I miss something!! :arghhhh:

21. belindamotion

:lol::lol::lol:..I honestly have no idea...mine just grows like a weed...just "gums" permanently...will admitt, when I couldn't get my "regular" salt...my baby stoped growing and when I got my salt, she started growing after 2 water changes...thats the only thing I have noticed...

Recent Posts