Nitrogen Cycle

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by BrandonH, 15 Apr 2013.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH

How soon after starting up should I register the first ammonia readings? It has now been a week and still nothing.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

If you started your tank with some good quality liverock & bacterial supplement you would most likely not even detect ammonia & nitrites.
    I have also not detected even the slightest hint of ammonia & nitrites on my latest tank even after a month.
    Can you perhaps explain your system to us. Volume, liverock amount, skimmer, addatives & perhaps add a pic of the sump & tank.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depending on the rocks, where you got it from, was it already cycled or not, if it was allowed to dry out or not.

Some more info on the rocks would help.

5. BrandonH

BrandonH Thread Starter

[​IMG]

My tank is 1.2 x .6 x .64 [​IMG]

with a 1.1 x .4 x .45 sump. All my liverock and DSB come out of an already cycle[​IMG]

d holding facility. I have been dosing stability from day one. Please see pics.[​IMG]

6. Tiger eye

Tiger eye

How deep is your DSB? And I would recomend that you remove the live rock from tje DSB to create more surface aria sinse your DSB is very small. For the amonia it might be posible sinse everything was allreddy cycled and you dosed stabilaty from day one.

7. pkc

pkc

Mate you need some ammonia for a time the get a good bio start. I would add a small amount of marinara mix to the aquarium in a stocking bag hung in the water to rot and stimulate ammonia.
    Each two to three days shake the bag and after a few weeks take it out and it can be in the sump, it doesn’t have to be in the aquarium.
    A small hand full will have varied life, which will give omnivore ammonia-prawn meat, filter feeder life ammonia-mucles, oysters as such, and carnivore ammonia-fish, octopus and squid.
    Each form of life gives off a different ammonia signature and you need your oxidisers that are incredibly diverse to handle all these varied ammonias.
    Once they are in place and working well and a large protist community is up and running and bacteria phages are doing their bit, your aquarium biologically, can be labelled mature.

Recent Posts