Nitrites "stuck" during cycle

Reaction score
Hi all,

I started my tank on 4 Jan 2019. I have the following biological media in the tank for bacteria:
  1. Maxspect nano tech blocks (since 4 Jan)
  2. 29 kg of dead man made rock (since start of Feb)
  3. 6.8 kg caribsea special grade substrate (dead) (added 22 March 2019)
  4. 500 ml seachem matrix (added 6 April 2019)
I did ghost feed the tank until recently. I have stopped for just over a week.

I have used a number of bacteria products: special blend, ATM colony, AquaVitro seed and now special blend and nite-out II.

However, no2 has been sitting on 5 or 5+ ppm for more than 2 months now.

I have had the skimmer running in hope's this would help, no results.

I have changed filter socks, no result.

I have done a 140 litre water change also with no result.

Any advice on reducing no2 to finish the cycle will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Joe

Hi Pieter,

I am sad to say the results are accurate. Tested water from my nano with the same kit.

Last edited:
A cycle is finished when nitrite and ammonia are 0. You will always have nitrate (NO3) in your tank, you dont want it at 0. Softies and LPS will need NO3. If the other 2 are 0 then nitrates at 5 are ok. I'm running nitrates at 10ppm atm.

Last edited:
I tested water again today and there has been no improvement :m24:

Any advice will be appreciated

For those interested, I ended up finding some guidance for Dr Tim's one and only. The instructions stated that NO2 of 5 ppm or more significantly increases the cycle time. The correction for this is to perform water changes until the NO2 is below 5 ppm.

For those interested, I ended up finding some guidance for Dr Tim's one and only. The instructions stated that NO2 of 5 ppm or more significantly increases the cycle time. The correction for this is to perform water changes until the NO2 is below 5 ppm.
This is Inaccurate waterchanges will prolong the process, the system must run its course and "mature" did you use any liverock in the cycle?

Back
Top Bottom