Urgent help needed nitrit and ammonia

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by badbiker, 15 Apr 2010.

1. badbiker

badbiker

Hi;

I tested my aquarium and i found that nitrite is 1.0ppm and ammonia is 2.0ppm and found one of the fish dead. So as action I changed 50% of my tank water. so need help for more advices.

for info I have 7 coral and 4 fish.

thanx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

You need to tell us a bit more about the tank!

How many liters?
    How long has it been running?
    pH?

4. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

hi
    tank is 25g and ph is 8.0 and its running for 2 weeks and today i replaced skimmer haqos 600 old one was jebo 180 and it was not working well.

Have 10 kg of live rock + live sand

5. lIghty

lIghty

2 WEEKS!!!!!

You shouldn't have any fish in there yet!!!!!! let alone 5! The fish are being poisoned...

You will need to do water changes regularly!

Where about are you from, Don't you know someone that could keep the fish for you for another 2 weeks?

Try get some "Tetra Marine Safe Start" - Live bacteria, it will help...

When did you do the water change?

Try getting are air into the tank, either using air stones or by lifting a power head closer to the surface causing it to break the water surface, some power heads can take an airline to suck air, do it if possible.

6. PeterL

PeterL

Heck dude, you need help to rescue your tank from inevitable disaster - lets not lose any more fish and get you on the road to success ASAP.

Let us know where about you are and we (actually more the more advanced guys) will help you get it right, there are ways to recover but the tank is very young and with marine life - you too, as was I in the begining, been misinformed right from the begining of time frames it requires prior to putting fish into the tank. Pet shops do that, they will sell you what you wil pay for yet leave out the critical info you need to be successfull.

Drop in some more info for us to be able to help you out.

What size is the tank, if you have pics it is also very useful, what fiter system are you running, lighting, feeding routine etc...as much detail as you can provide all aids with being able to recieve the correct advice to suit what you have running, every single tank setup is slightly different in some way or another and the advice provided will be acording to your set-up - with out more info, it is very difficult to assit 100%

7. IMarine

IMarine

Hi Badbiker as Ighty said no fish what you can do is get some prime and stabality from seachem and double dose with prime for 4 days and then stabality aswell for 10 days and all lights off for 4weeks aswell and test your water parameters after 2 days of using prime you should have a 0 ammo and nitrite and get your skimmer to skimm wet
    ALL THE BEST

8. robertkukla

robertkukla

good luck with this i hope everything will be ok , i think you need to find someone to watch your fish for 2 weeks to sort the tank out

9. manta

manta

Agree with lighty. You should not have any fish in a tank that is so new. The tank has not even gone through it's cycle to grow enough bacteria to sustain a fish let alone 5.

Find someone who can house the fish for you for about a month the coral for much longer. I have a tank that has been going for two years and I still feel that it is not ready for corals.
    secondly add product such as prodibio to help complete your nitrogen cycle.
    Do you have a sump and DSB in place?
    Hope you come right

10. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

hi

my tank size is 25g = 105 lit
    [​IMG]
    feeding = I m feeding fish once in two days

lighting = using JBL Marin day

skimmer = last night I installed new haqos 600 still not bringing dirt in the cup
    [​IMG]

filter = has 3 levels 1st level has sponge the 2nd has carbon and third has ceramic rings
    [​IMG]

Yesterday i changed 50% of tank water after changing I added 42 ml from ammovec bio cultures
    [​IMG]

than added 15 ml of depond trace element supplement

[​IMG]

and I tested ph it was 7.9 to 8.0 I tried to increase it by adding ph plus but no result still same

[​IMG]

that is all story

11. PeterL

PeterL

ouch, you see the Kenya tree, it should be standing up - lying down like that suggests how bad things are. It is starting to look to me like you may have searched for help too late even you may lose most if not all stock and start again.

My advice, take the life out the tank and got back to the shot you got it from and get your money back, then get your tank to cycle proerly before considering putting any life into the tank. It will buy you time to give careful consideration to how you are going to get your tank set-up when it is completed and also for you to get all the information you require to get you to this end goal.

I know where you are coming from but you WILL lose a lot of money by allowing the stuff to rather die than to get it back ASAP for a refund. The refunded money can be well spent on starting to work on sorting out the filtration which isn't strong enough by nearly half. I am not kocking everything you did to be mean and saying you are no good at this, you have just been sold a bunch of stuff without being informed at all and you have to do it right to sustain life in your marine aquarium which is I assume why you got into it in the first place - you want a good looking marine tank - right?

To accomplish that, you need to follow the correct advice, the guys on MASA are all in it for the good of marine life, not to make anyone feel silly or knock what they have done - so an error was made, lets move forward and get this right from here on in

12. FransSny

FransSny

Hi badbiker, ouch ....looks like you were given horrible advice.

Those two nennies are not happy (and personally I would say your tank is to small) see if you can get them to someone more experienced with a mature tank. In order to thrive they need good lighting and excellent water paramaters. Here your lighting is lacking

I havent used the additives your are adding but your ph is way to low, Ammovec is a useless product.

In overall I would have to agree with zombie, rather start over now, see if you can do more research and save yourself lots of tears, frustration & $$$$

Good luck

13. badbiker

badbiker Thread Starter

thanx zombie clam ...just now i testd the water the result ammonium 0.5mg/I and nitrit 1.0mg/I and ph 7.8 is it ok or still need to ramove the the life out of tank. I am going to change 15% of the water in the evening.

14. robertkukla

robertkukla

i agree with zombie

15. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud what area are you in?

16. crispin

crispin

hi badbiker, welcome to masa :)

things are looking seriously bad in that tank i am afraid and the death of fish is an idication of the toxic levels in the water. i'm afraid it looks like your best option is to let us know where you are and see if we canmt find a host to ntry save some of the LS. that tank is in such a serious situation it will lead to the death of anything you have in there at the moment:(

I'm also a little worried about dosing and adding bacteria etc etcf as a way to try salvage the tanks situation, you really need to get the live stock out and start with new water and let that cycle for 6-8weeks.

where are u situated, lets see if we cant find a hobbyist or a LFS that can hold whateever life you have in there.

on the last note, the worst thing to have in that tank is a nennie at the moment, and two is going to cuase serious issues, you need to have these rehoused for a minimum of 5 months :(

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Well for starters, I would say get ALL the livestock out of the tank and let it cycle properly the right way. At the moment they are suffering and WILL die :(

Also, please read the link in my signature on how to start your first marine tank - you will find most of the info there about a cycle, etc

An anemone should only be placed in a tank that has matured at least 9 months cause they need pristine, stable water parameters and a two week new tank can never provide that.

What worries me is the amount of livestock you have in a barely cycled tank :(
    You need to find another supplier as clearly this petshop is giving you bad advice just to take your money. Rather support our sponsors - check in the sponsor forums.

Give the inhabitants a chance to survive and take them to another reefer who can look after them for you until your tank is ready - or take them back to the shop hoping they'll refund you.

18. dogstar

dogstar

Got to let your tank cycle first before you put any life in there. Mind you i dont blame you for what has happened, pet stores sometimes give crap advise. Even on this forum i have read people saying you dont need to cycle.

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Tell me who :13:

Well, if you're running a zeolith system the cycling time is reduced a lot as the ammonia and nitrites are basically instantly removed so the water won't be toxic to fishes.

20. manta

manta

Badbiker, I would suggest that take note of what people like Tobes and Crispin are saying. For the survival of your LS please get them to a fellow reefer and then you can set up your tank appropriately for marines. You need to change your filtration system as I can not see how your current setup can convert ammonia to nitrites efficiently and how denitrification can happen at all. If you do not address this, no amount of chemicals and additives will help.

Let forum members know in which area you reside and I am sure that someone close to you will come to your assistance.

21. crispin

crispin

Recent Posts