Nitrifying bacteria

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by wiekus, 9 Dec 2015.

1. wiekus

wiekus

I am new to this great hobby! I bought a 1.5m Aquaria tank. The tank is now in process of cycling. My concern is, I am dosing nitrifying bacteria from the start, do I leave the lights on or off? I have read that it is better to leave the lights off for a period to contain unwanted algae….but is not sure if the nitrifying bacteria will “work” if the lights is switched off! At this stage I have no live rock but to do have aragonite in the sump.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Bacteria dont need light to grow so there is no problem leaving them off.

viper357 likes this.
  4. wiekus

wiekus Thread Starter

Thanks, I appreciate it!

5. Mr Dan

Mr Dan

Hi @wiekus with regard to leaving your lights off during cycling ,it is my opinion that letting the algea grow during cycling offers far more benefits than not, (depending on what type of filtration you are using)if you are running a simple set up ,as in skimmer and dsb understand that your dsb can take up to a year to mature depending how you manage it . So in that time what is going to happen to the disolved nutrients in the water column?where are they going to go? So what will happen when you stock the tank is you are going to get a major nutrient spike in your water and basically no imediate filtration capacity , if you let the algea grow during cycling at least you will have something to absorb the initial spike and then once your dsb has matured you can then start playing with nutrient contol . in the meantime use a correctly selected cuc to controll the algea
    Or if you have the means to aquire all the latest equipment as in phos reactor,nitrate reactors and such , then forget what ive just said .
    At the end of the day running marine tanks or should i say reef tanks takes a lot of learning , patients , hard work, sweat and tears but i also cant even begin to discribe how rewarding it is in the end
    as said before this is only my opinion but have fun and enjoy the ride , let us know how it goes and keep posting

6. wiekus

wiekus Thread Starter

Thanks Mr Dan, I appreciate you help!

Recent Posts