1. mupwi

mupwi

hi all I have been having a bit of a nitrate problem with levels siting around 20-25ppm

I have approximately 40kg of live-rock in the system which is about 250l and only 4 small fish a small colt coral and a 4 small rock pool anemones a red orange short spined urchin.

I also have a jebo quadraplex skimmer that seems to be skimming pretty well.

I try do a 10% water-change each weekend and have done the of 30% water change to try get the nitrates down which dosent seem to be working

A friend of mine suggested I get a nitrate pad which I have seen in the past but seems no one has in stock at the moment so while I was in the LFS I found this brightwells aquatics NITRATr resin has anyone tried it how long should it take before I start seeing a change I put about 125g in a mesh bag last night and put it in my overflow compartment.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

BActeria and vodka will also help a lot especially as you have a skimmer. Seachen, Prodibio and Microbe lift are good although you will have to get the nano range of prodibio should you go that route.

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Ill do a big water change. like a 30%. Dose some bacteria if you have. Also,check your flow,have you got dead spots? then how much do you feed and what do you feed them? how old is your setup?

5. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I was looking at adding some bacteria but no one seemed to have in stock last week.

I have been feeding pellets cant remember the make off hand about a small pinch per day but for the last week I have cut down to every second day to try bring the levels down don't think I have any dead spots turnover through the tank is about 30X per hour.

the main question in this thread was really how long should it take for the resin to show a difference. How fast will it absorb the nitrates? it says that 250g should absorb 20ppm nitrates from 50gal of water but it dosent say how long that will take. I put the bag in the overflow compartment last night so the water will circulate through it and expected lower readings this morning but I dent realy see much change am I just being hasty or does it take a few days/weeks

6. 2balive

2balive

deNitrate and Matrix

Following this, also interested to see how it works.

it is the only direct chemical medium that I came across so far. There is also Seachem deNitrate and/or Seachem Matrix that you can use, but these are more bacterial in nature.

Anyone else know of similar stuff?

PS Your problem may be test kit related?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2011
  7. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

the test kits may be a bit off. I am doing water changes with NSW and I measure that at +- 5ppm so its not perfect itself I was thinking of doing like 3 30% water changes staggered over a weekend but OI don't think my back will handle it. anyone know of somware in the durban area that you can get the car close to a clean spot to collect water. at the moment I collect by cave rock on the bluff as at high tide the water is almost at the steps and I try park right at the top of the steps but still hauling 100kg of water up the steps ain't great

8. Tony

Tony

There's also the Orca de nitrate media

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

From the pics in your image uploader it does not look like you got a sump. Best is to have proper filtration. Obviously with your nitrates up, you need to look into either a sump with descend size DSB or NP-pellets. Before you cover your live rock to green green grass.

10. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I do have a sump but it is just an old 3ft and haven't put in baffles and the dsb yet at the moment it just has my return pump ato the skimmer about 10kg of the live rock and on Tuesday I put in my old 100sq inch ats have got the parts to build a bigger one for this tank but haven't had a chance yet.

11. Fredo

Fredo

Mupwi. please tell me what bag you r using, This media is so fine they say u need a 300um mesh filter bag, even stockings are too large a hole for this, what u using

12. boetie

boetie

aquatics NITRATr resin takes 2 to 3 weeks to work

13. Tony

Tony

So do bio pellets, but they are not really necessary. I have never used a DSB, turf scrubber and chucked those bio pellets out after three weeks partly because I chose the wrong reactor and my cyano was disappearing so I could switch back to vodka (which is why I went the pellet route to temporarily stop vodka dosing) and my nutrients have always been close to zero with nitrates at 0.1 and phosphates at 0.01. All I do is dose bacteria biweekly (weekly initially to reduce nutrients) and vodka daily with a skimmer and GAC.

The point I'm trying to make is that low nutients can be achieved in simply run systems and all gadgets, reactors, DSB's and media are not necessary. But, if you want to go that route it's entirely your decision

14. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

I used a bag that I got with carbon in it once it was used I undid the stitching on one end and refiled the bag with the resin I then used a plastic clip for keeping chips ect sealed to close the open end come of the smaller grains do leak out but most of it is staying put I got some organza bags today that I am going to try as well

Recent Posts