Nitrates, Phosphates and water changes

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by dogstar, 29 Jul 2009.

1. dogstar

dogstar

So, using my tropic marin kit for Nitrates and my Salifert kit for Phos, i get a 0 reading for both, yet i am having algae issues - so its all getting used up by the algae.

If i do a water change, does this still help reduce my nitrates and phos if they already zero? (assume i dont remove any detritus, by siphoning my sand or blowing the rocks out, just a straight water change)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Broder

Broder Mudshark

How can you reduce your NO3 and PO4 below 0? Is the algae just growing on some of the rocks? Or is it all over the tank?

4. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

its growing on the rocks

5. Tony

Tony

You will get zero readings because they are tied up in the rocks itself and the algae. The released nitrates and phosphates released into the system from the rocks are being used up by the algae, aggravating things. Try Prodibio, it will sort you out in a month as it uses the pollutants tied up in the rocks and substrate

6. Furbz

Furbz

is prodibio coral safe? i have 1 rock in my entire setup that has GHA and it wont go away. problem is the corals that are attached to this rock.
    if i start dosing prodibio will this rid me on my little patch of GHA?

7. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Already using prodibio for 2 months. Looks like the growth i slowing down. Will keep using it, seems to be working.

8. Tony

Tony

Furbs. Its coral safe so no worries

9. Broder

Broder Mudshark

If you don't succeed in a couple of months, then maybe look at adding an algae turf scrubber to your system. In effect you'd be creating ideal growing conditions on the actual screens for the algae and obstructing growth in the tank by having high Kelvin rated lights, say 14000k.

10. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Always wanted to add an algae turf scrubber. I dont have space to put one. No space in/above my sump (kinda got shafted with a crap design on the second hand cabinet i got with the tank), and no space on either side of my tank.

If i ever decide to move my tank, i am going to make sure i have enough space for an ATS, seems like the best way to deal with nuisance algae.

11. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Above your tank? You could pump water from your sump up to a scrubber above your tank and then let it drain into your tank. That way your tank gets the full benefit of all the copods etc coming off the screens. You could even create a surge action into your tank if you're DIY inclined.

12. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

cant add above, without building a shelf for the unit - which will not go down well cause the tank is in my lounge.

I am thinking of tapping the overflow pipe (which feeds the skimmer, and skimmer then feeds the sump). That way the ATS is gravity fed, and i use a small pump to to return the water to the sump. Only concern is how much water is siphoned out the DT in the event of a power failure. Might flood the ATS, and spill over to the carpet.

I dunno if this will affect the performance of the skimmer?

Think this is a good idea?

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

It must drain into the sump, you can't match the flow rate with a pump. gravity feed does not give you much pressure though.

14. Tony

Tony

Prodibio will sort your problems out chop chop and reduce your nitrates and phosphates trapped in your substrate and rocks so you don't have problems further down the line

15. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

Here is kinda what my setup looks like:
    [​IMG]

My cabinet has a support in the middle, so my sump cant fit under. I have the sump on the side, long side facing the cabinet, short side facing the front. Skimmer has to sit ontop of the sump in order to feed it.

From overflow, water goes down a pipe to the skimmer, skimmer feeds sump, sump feeds back to the tank.

Only place for ATS is on the one side of the cabinet. But here, i cant have it feed the sump by gravity, cause the sump wall is high, doesn't leave much space for the unit.

Thats why only thought i had was tap the overflow pipe, put the unit in the side of the cabinet and feed via pump back to the sump.

Tony, i am using the prodibio, but an ATS system seems the more natural solution.

16. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I can't really see any solutions from the diagram. Possibly post a photo of your system in the Agae Turf Scrubber thread, and lets see what the other members suggest?

17. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

okay, will take a pic this evening, thanks for you help thusfar Mudshark

18. Tony

Tony

You cant run prodibio and an ATS or any form of macroalgae, the prodibio will starve them of nutrients and destroy macroalgae which is it's purpose. You don't even need a DSB with prodibio

Recent Posts