Nitrate/skimmer/skimmate question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by gaboon, 24 Apr 2008.

1. gaboon

gaboon

My nitrates are sitting comfy well under 5. I only get about 10mm skimmate a week (like pee) which is nothing. Does this mean the nutrient levels in the tank are that low? I'm using a weipro skimmer (not by choice). I know its crap but surely my nitrates would be climbing then?. Got a sixline, 2 percs, ±10 hermits and snails.

Can someone enlighten me? (I think I'm just craving to see a filthy collection cup:))

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

You got a very low nutrient load, and if you have a DSB that will help with nitrates. If you had a better skimmer you would get more skimmate which would lower you nutrient levels even more. Remember of all the nutrients that accumulate we only check nitrates and to a lesser degree phosphates. But at the end of the day if its working for you dont change anything or worry about how much skimmate you collect.

4. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Cool, thanks Alan. Talking about the dsb, got a question on that too. Gonna take a pic first.

5. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Here it goes, display sand's depth is 8cm, you can see there is life in there.
    [​IMG]

The dsb in the sump on the other hand in dead, even at night when the lights are off.
    [​IMG]

Tank has been running for nearly 5 months, surely something should be happening?

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Might be microscopic, i can almost guarantee you that the deeper sand bed is responsible for the low nitrates. Remember a DSB is first and foremost a biological filter full of bacteria converting nitrate to nitrogen gas. So although it seems dead have no fear it is working.

7. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

That is a question i have been wanting to ask for a long time

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Gaboon - as Alan said - you have a VERY VERY low bio-load.... So, you CAN get more skimmate if you tune your skimmer to be a little bit drier - I have a 1,2 metre (300 litre) tank with ONLY live rock/soft-corals (zoanthids, star polyps and two LPS frags).... I have a WeiPro skimmer IN-TANK (not even a sump), but I do have a DSB in my tank as well - so my only filtration is the DSB in-tank, and the WeiPro skimmer.

Ask Jason what my skimmate looks like in the WeiPro... :)

Dark dark... Not as smelly - but very dark...

I would perhaps suggest also putting SOME of your live sand from your display tank into the DSB section in your sump.

How is your water plumbed? It might be that ALL the live if removed by some form of filtration BEFORE it can even get to the DSB in your sump....

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

gaboon ive also got a weipro, (sa 2016), the one with the box at the base, my overflow hits the water just at the pump intake, this combination and the venturi , makes some really nasty skimmate, it is lumpy dude,kinda like black green milo in cold milk. im happy with my weipro at the mo. try adjusting your water level just upto below where the cup slots in to the tube , it will make a huge difference in contact time and the skimmate gets uuuuuuugly dark

10. Warr7207

Warr7207

How deep is that DSB, looks huge ?

Recent Posts