Nitrate reductor

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by SchyffS, 11 Aug 2009.

1. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

What alternative carbon food sources are available to feed the nitrate reductor. The reductor runs on bio balls and Aquamedic Denimar balls. I am aware that denimar powder should be used but want to know if there is alternatives?[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SchyffS

SchyffS Thread Starter Reef Aquarist

oops, i may have posted under the wrong section. I think it be in section Mechanical Filtration. Can this be moved please? :nono:

4. IMarine

IMarine

yo bra you can use vodca to feed otherwise bio fuel

SchyffS likes this.
  5. SchyffS

hey! emm, r smoking dat okka pipe? ;) spare me a puff, throw some vodka in the water while you at it :thumbup:
    Who is the manufacturer of bio fuel? Is it leaded or unleaded? LOL

6. IMarine

IMarine

nitrate deductor

brightwell bra and 102 octain or should i say like mine a 30kw nos kit

7. SchyffS

Can the biofuel be added to the dsb as well? to feed those inhabitants?

8. Tony

Tony

You just add the bio fuel to your water and turn your skimmer off for a while. Be careful with your dosing if you go with the vodka route as you need about 1ml daily for a 700l tank

9. SchyffS

Thanks Tony and Imarine for the input.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

SchyffS - sorry to say it man. But that thing is a waste of your money. Rather spend the money on a phosphate reactor.... FAR better worth.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

JB nitrate reductors work very well. Yes they are expensive but they do not need the space a DSB requires. So if space is the issue and finances permit i recommend them. Both the AM ones and Tunze ones. IMO

12. jacquesb

OK - Nemo's cool - I appreciate your thoughts. It is just that I think a DSB, extra live rock and a huge skimmer works far better......

13. SchyffS

Space is not a problem, the nitrate reducer is gonna be used on my future tank, its all in the planning phases at the moment ;)
    I have connceted it up to my little baby, just to understand how it works and get some pre learning before it goes into the future tank.
    BTW: i do have a DSB etc planned for the new tank, but iMo keeping nitrates as low as possible is a priority and when there is a power failure the nitrate reductor will not suffer harm as the same a DSB, as the bacteria inside the reactor thrives on a low oxygen environment and thus will be able to reduce the losses when there is such a failure. The nitrate reductor will assist the system recovery (get the DSB back in working condition quicker)
    emm, that is my thinking on the use of nitrate reducer...

14. jacquesb

It's your choice mate. You can use one if you already have it. BUT - please ensure that you have a method to remove the high level of nitrates that this form of filtration produces.......

15. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm confused. Throughout this thread it talks about a nitrate reducer (In other words it reduces nitrates) but from what I know about bio-balls is that it increases nitrates and has no way of reducing them. I'm really confused. Unless the flow through this system is so slow that it creates an oxygen defficient environment, thus producing anaerobic bacteria and in turn reduces nitrates. Have I got it wrong or am I missing something?

16. jacquesb

Manic - I have used these devices before. Google them a little bit. The problem here is, you are NEVER guaranteed that you will EVER have ZERO oxygen in the water that goes down to the lowest levels of this device. An-aerobic bacteria dies off as soon as it comes into contact with oxygenated water.

These devices are good in reducing ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates.

There is absolutely NO man-made substitute for a decent DSB...... Only in a decent DSB, does an-aerobic bacteria really flourish, below the 5 to 6 cm levels.....

17. Manic

Manic Moderator

Cool thanks. Didn't think there was a miracle substitute for the good old deep sand bed and dsb's are cheap and reliable...

18. jacquesb

Look - you don't HAVE to only take my word for it Manic. If you google it you will get more scientific proof as well.....

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm just thinking of it from a scientific point of view. With a deep sand bed it almost impossible to add oxygen rich water to the bottom of the sand bed. With this nitrate reducer I can see many instances where by mistake oxygen rich water could reach the anaerobic bacteria and ultimately wipe it out...

20. SchyffS

I agree, Nitrate Reductors are treated with sum sceptism and its much harder to maintain than a DSB. If its hooked up to a MV controller then most of the guessing is removed on whether the anaerobic bacteria is thriving or not is sorted.
    My DSB will be the main source of both aerobic and anaerobic filtration, it will also be HUGE :thumbup:
    The nitrate reductor will simply be additional filtration.
    The best explanation is by aquamedic and deltec....on how they operate.
    Yep, such an item is the last on any sane reefers list and i have reached that part of the list :)

21. SchyffS

Yes, u are correct, however oxygen levels are measured with a MV controller, it controlls the movement of oxygen rich water in and out of the reactor via a solenoid valve within specif MV limits to ensure that it never reaches a high enough oxygen level to wipe out the anaerobic baceteria. DONT SETUP ONE WITHOUT AN MV CONTROLLER!!!!! You will make a mistake eventually....

Recent Posts