Nitrate reductor question

Reaction score
Hi guys,just need some advice please.Most recently visited my local LFS and saw that they have a nitrate reductor in stock.Unfortunately i dont have any pics however if i was to describe it,it looks like a calcium reactor filled with bio-balls.Can any one tell me which controller ie ph,orp etc one should use with this contraption.

why don't you rather go for a dsb(deep sand bed), this is the cheapest why to bring nitrates down too 0.

what i have seen is it works with a orp controller and in the reactor they use sulpher( and then you need a sulpher remover rx to) or aragonite,this is all i know( i maybe wrong)

but i would have gone for the dsb

oooh, bio balls, my suggestion is stay away from bio balls, thats a nitrate bomb that stuff. Hmm, but maybe a pic would be better to diagnose, what is the name of it so we can google it?

00-Skimmer-dm-013b.jpg
Here is a pic

yeah seeing that i would go with a DSB, so much better, bio balls really turn out to trouble after a while, can you fit in a DSB somewhere? have you got a sump? i suppose you could do as j said and use arragonite, but its definitly better to go DSB, are you set on getting this if you dont mind me asking?

yip thats a sulpher denitrater, the guys throw out the bio balls and add sulpher or araganite.

the sulpher leakes into tank an you will need to remove the sulpher with a sulpher rx

i know ferdi has a denitrater with araganite in it, and it seems to work( but it is expensive)

Which controler is used for this machin,is it orp controller.Do i HAVE TO THOW THE BALLS OUT AND USE ARRAGONITE OR WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST IF MY HEART WAS SET ON BUYING THIS MACHINE

rather wait for the gurus to help with this, but yeah you'll need a orp controller

The AM NR uses Deniballs and they are made from a special biologically based plastic material .So my post is only about the AM NR and deniballs.
The deniballs are designed to provide a long-term carbon and food source for anaerobic bacteria within the AM Nitratereductors.
What happens inside the NR is that the absence of oxygen causes these anaerobic bacteria to burn up the Deniballs to accelerate the reduction of nitrates into nitrogen gas.

Back
Top Bottom