Nitrate reductor question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by rugs, 21 Sep 2008.

1. rugs

rugs

Hi guys,just need some advice please.Most recently visited my local LFS and saw that they have a nitrate reductor in stock.Unfortunately i dont have any pics however if i was to describe it,it looks like a calcium reactor filled with bio-balls.Can any one tell me which controller ie ph,orp etc one should use with this contraption.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

why don't you rather go for a dsb(deep sand bed), this is the cheapest why to bring nitrates down too 0.

what i have seen is it works with a orp controller and in the reactor they use sulpher( and then you need a sulpher remover rx to) or aragonite,this is all i know( i maybe wrong)

but i would have gone for the dsb

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

oooh, bio balls, my suggestion is stay away from bio balls, thats a nitrate bomb that stuff. Hmm, but maybe a pic would be better to diagnose, what is the name of it so we can google it?

5. rugs

rugs Thread Starter

[​IMG]Here is a pic

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah seeing that i would go with a DSB, so much better, bio balls really turn out to trouble after a while, can you fit in a DSB somewhere? have you got a sump? i suppose you could do as j said and use arragonite, but its definitly better to go DSB, are you set on getting this if you dont mind me asking?

7. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

yip thats a sulpher denitrater, the guys throw out the bio balls and add sulpher or araganite.

the sulpher leakes into tank an you will need to remove the sulpher with a sulpher rx

i know ferdi has a denitrater with araganite in it, and it seems to work( but it is expensive)

8. rugs

rugs Thread Starter

Which controler is used for this machin,is it orp controller.Do i HAVE TO THOW THE BALLS OUT AND USE ARRAGONITE OR WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS SUGGEST IF MY HEART WAS SET ON BUYING THIS MACHINE

9. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

rather wait for the gurus to help with this, but yeah you'll need a orp controller

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I've seen the Aquamedic Nitrate reductor. They appear to work well. They also use Bio balls. My choice would still be a Deep Sand Bed to reduce nitrates.

11. Puppy

Puppy Lives for SPS

The AM NR uses Deniballs and they are made from a special biologically based plastic material .So my post is only about the AM NR and deniballs.
    The deniballs are designed to provide a long-term carbon and food source for anaerobic bacteria within the AM Nitratereductors.
    What happens inside the NR is that the absence of oxygen causes these anaerobic bacteria to burn up the Deniballs to accelerate the reduction of nitrates into nitrogen gas.

12. rugs

rugs Thread Starter

An The AM Cotroller,is it a orp controller or does it function independenly

13. Puppy

Puppy Lives for SPS

Rugs, the AM NR range functions with an Orp controller .

Recent Posts