Nitrate Reactor

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 4 month old tank and the nitrate level is currently at 50ppm as measured using a Salifert test kit, the level was fairly consistent at 5-10ppm until about 2 weeks ago when it moved up to around the 50ppm range. LFS recommended NOPOX but also heard that a nitrate reactor is also a good option to reduce the nitrate levels.

Have reduced amount of feeding but don't see a marked affect.

Please advise regarding the NOPOX or reactor route. Thanks.

you have to first identify the problem..how did the nitrates increase so rapidly? also what is your Phosphate levels? we often forget that there is a link between nitrates and phosphates..bacteria needs phosphate to consume nitrate and vice versa

I had an outbreak of white spot on two of my clowns and treated the tank for 10days with Artemiss and Herbtana , the clowns unfortunately did not make it and were removed pretty much as they died.

After that it seems the nitrate levels starting increasing but I have no idea if that is the case or even possible.

I would need to check the phosphate levels.

Do a bigger water change... sounds like the meds killed your bacteria

and that's a big spike, have you cleaned EVERYWHERE in your tank?

Remember with pellets you need a big skimmer so make sure that's working well. Should you perhaps top up the pellets?

I wouldn't carbon dose from here... there must be a source you need to sort out, more carbon will just delay a blow out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom