Nitrate Problem... I think

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by danimal, 7 Oct 2009.

1. danimal

danimal

Hi all

Tank had been running for about 7 weeks now, have 2 clowns, about 6 pr 7 hermits and a few snails. About 16kgs of live rock. Added the fish after 3 weeks when all water params were good, and the inverts a few days later. I feed TetraPrima every 2 days in the morning. Have a TS2 skimmer in the sump with a large DSB which is starting to go black at the bottom (good I believe).

Ammonia 0 Nutrafin test kit
    Nitrate 2.5 - 5.0 Red Sea Test kit
    Phosphate 0 Red Sea Test kit

My nitrates have been at the same level for about 4 weeks now - is this normal? I have done a 50l water change in the last few days. (Total volume 400l). At present the only flow I have in the DT is from the return - could this be part of the reason? Using aragonite in the DT which the inverts are doing a good job of stirring up and removing detritus.

Seems a bit long to me and I would like to add some more LS soon - possbily a fire shrimp and some fire coral. Any help or advice greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dogstar

dogstar

Not sure what 2.5 - 5.0 means on the red sea kit. But if its ppm its little bit high. Best to keep it as low as possible, preferably unmeasurable.

If you dont have any other flow except the return, detritus may just be accumulating in the DT and not making its way to the skimmer, thus increasing your nitrates.

Maybe stir up the sand bed in the DT a little, see if you get a lot of detritus coming up from it.

Also, keep your water changes regular, this will help reduce the nitrates.

4. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

yeah it is ppm. am looking into getting some powerheads today, hopefully will help :)

5. inflames

inflames

I would also suggest adding some Purigen in a stocking in the sump! Works great at removing amonia, nitrates and nitrites and also ups the redox. I use it in a stocking (actually 2 stockings) in my sump. It can be regenerated and will last you 4 -6 months between re-generation and a life time!

6. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks inflames, will definitely look into that! as things stand, do you guys think adding a shrimp and sun coral this weekend is advisable?

7. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

Hi there...in my opinion it's normal,the NO3 in new tanks can stay about 5 for a long time.I know that there are lot of reef keepers thay want to keep nitrates 0 but i belive we must have little bit of them...in my tank it's 0,2 and i've noticed when i had 0 the tank looked little bit dead...it's importend to have god test's i would not belived red sea...for me 2,5 it's perfect but it's only my opinion...say hallo to Durban from me...U such a lekker place...greatings...Raphael...

8. Tony

Tony

Your nitrates are fine.

9. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks tony, but could anyone expand on this? while i've heard that lowish nitrates are not necessarily a crisis, one should always strive for 0. is this then not strictly true?

10. Soyuz Apollo

Soyuz Apollo

...I spoked with Michael Mrutzek wchich works with Kokott on the vodka method...he told me to never get the ab****e zero...but our home test even if thay shows zero does not mean there it's absolute zero...but if will happand could be not good for our systems...

11. Tony

Tony

Zero nitrates are needed for SPS tanks especially ones that you want a lot of colour from. For LPS and softies you can have nitrates as high is 20ppm which also feed the corals

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Not a suncoral - they need a lot of food as every pollyp needs to be target fed on a daily basis. This can cause water quality problems. Some guys take the coral out of the tank and feed it in a bucket. I'm not a fan of this as the coral never gets a chance to settle or be 'left in peace'.
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

Ok cool thanks for input guys

14. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Hi danimal what are your nitrite reading I see you dit not put it up . At 7 weeks your tank is not wery matured. I believe you know the cycle of maturation in short. It starts with high Ammonia been break down by Nitrosomonas bacteria as Ammonia lowers your Nitrite's go up been break down by Nitrobacter bacteria, and when that lowers your Nitrate will go up and the anaerobic bacteria will break that down and so on. Only then is your system in the early stage of Maturation. This normaly takes 6 weeks

Your first live stok should have been added only then if water readings are ok. It is quite possible that your system is still between your Nitrites and Nitrates that is why there is no change in your nitrate reading. Your system is straggeling because you have added fish before it went through all it's cycles.

Please take it slow give your tank the time it needs to do it's thing it will be worth it for you in the long run. Give it another 3 to 4 weeks. I will mybe add the shrimp if you must it can help with the clean up, but the sun coral that is a big no, no :nono:.
    Sun corals needs good quality water and it needs special care. Each polyp has it's own mouth and needs to be fed. This meen's that you have to target feed it and it will pollute your water. So your system must be whery strong for it.
    Hope this will makes sens :thumbup:

15. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Ok sorry I see Tobes have already answerd you on the suncoral.

16. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks animal, appreciate the input :)

will definitely hold off on the coral for now - sun coral especailly as I have now researched it is out of my league and will be for some time. I think I will start off with maybe some zoas and mushrooms in a few weeks as you say. Might still go for a shrimp this weekend, my CUC needs some boosting :)

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Just drip acclimatize the shrimp for 1.5 - 2 hours as they are also very sensitive to ph, temp and salinity changes. About 1 drop every second.
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

COOL MAN :thumbup: YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!!!

Recent Posts