Nitrate level to high in Marine tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by greenie, 22 May 2010.

1. greenie

greenie

Hi,

My tank (90 liter) is now 6 months old and currently have - 1 clownfish, 2 damsel, 1 firefish, 1 goby, 1 shrimp, 1 porcelain crab and 2 soft coral.

Today I have done a 40% water change. The Ph, Ammonia and Nitrite test OK but the Nitrate test at 40ppm.

Can someone please tell me how I can successfully lower the nirtate level? (I believe it is still to high?)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

A test of nitrates 40ppm is deffinetley to high. The most common reason for this is there is to much nitrites in the water. Even thoug your test may read that the nitrties are in check the reason for them not showing is that algae is using it up(do you have a algae bloom at the moment). Your tank is still young and will still have some algae blooms. Did you maybe add new fish,this can cause a temerary rise in aquarium levels but will quickly fall back in place.

4. greenie

greenie Thread Starter

Thanks, there is actually a "algae bloom". I did not add any new fish to the tank.

5. Annoying

Annoying

That could be the problem as an algae bloom causes a raise in both nitrites and nitrates. The nitrites get used up and the product of the nitrites are nitrates, thus giving you a high amount of nitrates and almost no nitrites.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Greenie - can you please post pictures of your tank and filtration system?

Do you have a decent sized skimmer? Do you have/use macro algae to remove nitrates?

Are you still using a canister filter or bio-balls?

7. greenie

greenie Thread Starter

The skimmer (Berlin Airlift) works quit well. I am currently using a canister filter. Is Macro Algae available at the relevant petshops?

(what about the use of NitrateMinus liquied?)

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Greenie - sorry to say mate - you will find out what the meaning of "works quite well" is, once you have switched over to a skimmer with a pin-wheel impeller. I too had one of those skimmers you are talking about. Believe me - they are really not that good. IF you had a counter-current/airstone skimmer that stood 2 meters tall, with a blower that puts out at least 1400 liters of air per hour, then I would say "it works well".....

No chemical compound would resolve your issues at this stage - can you please confirm how much, and how often do you feed?

Also - what is the total water volume of your tank?

Macro algae should be given away for free - ask a fellow reefkeeper that stays close by - or perhaps works close to you. They can give you some chaetomorpha for free.

You just need a sump and some decent lighting to allow the chaetomorpha to grow.

This would help you in removing extra phosphates and nitrates from the water....

9. mnd123

mnd123

You dont mention live rock or a DSB, remember that the nitrogen cycle requires aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to finish the cycle (ie: convert ammonia->nitrite->nitrate->nitrogen) and the Nitrate (NO3) will only break down to Nitrogen in anaerobic conditions. Sounds like you have a half finished nitrogen cycle.

tell us about your LR and DSB

Recent Posts