Nitra-Guard Biocubes (Orcalabs)

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Helga, 17 Jun 2012.

1. Helga

Helga

It seems quite a few guys are using this new product with great success. Questions were being asked on 2 seperate threads so I decided to open a dedicated thread as we were taking over personal threads.

What I was trying to find out was if theres guys that have run NP pellets before using the Orcacubes. If so, what is the pros and cons of the different products and why should one change from NP pellets to the cubes.

Can they be used in the NP pellet reactor. Wont they turn mushy while tumbling.

I have come across this interesting read from orcalabs.co.za:

Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes

- The world’s fastest & most effective carbohydrate based nitrate remover
    - More economical & effective than any other product of it’s kind in the world…nothing can compare!
    *- Reduces 50ppm Nitrate to 0ppm within 1 to 2 weeks in Freshwater and Seawater
    - Easy & convenient use, no daily feedings or dosings, just add as directed and enjoy 4 to 6 months Nitrate free water
    *- No more Deep Sand Bed Filters required which saves space, time and money
    - 100% natural biological Nitrate removal, no chemicals
    *- Reduces Water Changes

Nitra-Guard Bio-Cubes
    BIO-Cubes are made from 100% biologically degradable polymers that effectively remove both nitrates and phosphates from both marine and freshwater systems. BIO-Cubes have a very high surface area and contains 400% more carbohydrates than any other brand, making it the best product of it’s kind in the world. Independent testing in real world scenarios, have proven BIO-Cubes to far outperform all other competing products. No other product of it’s kind can compare with the explosive performance that BIO-Cubes can offer. BIO-Cubes are very versatile and can be used in filter bags, fluidized reactors and denitrators. BIO-Cubes require no maintenance and require no feeding dosages making it the easiest and most convenient nitrate and phosphate removing product on the market. Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes comes with a free filter bag with every jar.

How it all works
    Bacteria consume the high carbohydrate source found in the BIO-Cubes and form a biomass that absorbs nitrates and phosphates from the water in the aquarium. This biomass is then skimmed out with a protein skimmer or is consumed as a food source by corals and clams.
    When culturing bacteria, 2 of the most important factors that will determine the size of the colony are surface area and food source. BIO-Cubes look like small open celled sponges giving the product a massive surface area. BIO-Cubes also has 400% more biologically available, insoluble polymer carbohydrates than any other product in the world. These 2 factors create conditions that are perfect for culturing and sustaining large bacteria colonies required to effectively remove phosphate and nitrate from aquariums. It is these 2 factors that have made Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes the world’s best carbohydrate based nitrate removing media. Independent tests that were performed in real world scenarios revealed that BIO-Cubes had the ability to reduce nitrates from 60ppm down to 5ppm in under 2 weeks while competing products claim to only start working after 2 weeks!

Directions for use
    The amount required will depend on stocking densities and amount of food added to the aquarium. For heavily stocked tanks, use 3ml to every 1lts of aquarium water and for aquariums with lighter stock loads, add 1ml to every 1lts of aquarium water. For best results, use Nitra-Guard BIO-Cubes in a denitrator reactor and commission the denitrator as specified by the manufacturer. If the BIO-Cubes are to be used in a filter bag or reactor, place them near the protein skimmer to assist in removing the nitrate and phosphate rich biomass faster. After 1 to 2 weeks, the bacteria colonies will become prolific enough to start lowering nitrate levels in your aquarium. If nitrate and phosphate levels in your aquarium are high, some cloudiness may occur which clears in a few days. Soak BIO-Cubes in freshwater for 24hrs before use.

Available sizes: 250ml / 500ml / 1 000ml / 5 000ml

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CarlosF

CarlosF

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. 2balive

2balive

Bought some, but have not start using it.

The big difference from the other stuff I looked at is that this is suitable for sumpless Nano's as it can go into a sock and do not need an reactor.

I have used their Nitrate absorption media, very impressed with it (I am just not so good with the regeneration effort).

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Thanks for the useful info @Helga, definately going to look into these. :thumbup:
    @Seabass something for you to try as well maybe?

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Another Product that Durban doesn't stock...:(

7. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

I am using the nitra-guard biocubes and phos-guard in my sump currently. I am using an airstone to keep the stuff rolling around.

Seems to be good - have reduced algae buildup on the glass, etc. I have GHA on the rock that seems to never go away - but that may be due to the rocks leeching phosphates - something that I think that NO phos remover can assist with.

My nitrates were sitting stable at 5ppm which also maybe be due to the bio-cubes.

@belindamotion - dont stress - am sure @dallasg can assist.

8. belindamotion

Yes he can...;)..the problem I have is that I don't understand the Product and it seems to come in more than one form...they seem to have a few under ORCA and I don't know what should be used with what and why...and no one seems to have the time to explain it to me...:blush:..so I don't buy something I don't 100% understand...:(..and to make matters worse...I don't even know if my perception of the Product is correct or not, as no one here in Durban has the Products, so that I can see them and ask..."does this go with that"..."do I need to add this"...blah blah blah...:blush:

9. Fanlie

Fanlie

I use these products. It works real nice and it is my best all the different products.
    Nitra-Guard can -+9maande. Nitrates have never ran it. Stay always 0. Important rights flow.
    and "Orca Phostha". Po4 under 0.02 to 0.04 for 2maande then "Orca reyecle" again 2maande 0.02 to 0.06 then recycle it for month or 2maande. Throw away again and put new phostha.

10. Express Reef

Express Reef

11. Express Reef

Express Reef

12. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

@belindamotion - I agree with your sentiments. I have seen it work in @dallasg tanks and although I run a small dsb/refuge was tempted to go with it. I run the phos-guard to assist with GHA, but realise that its a problem for nearly all aquarists around...

As for the nitrates - my tank sits at 5ppm - am not happy with this, but I do feed heavily and twice a day too. I think I may have my limit in terms of livestock now and that also adds to the issue. I have started a dosing regime to assist the biocubes with bacterial growth.

Seems like I am trying too hard lol, but the nitrates are at 2.5ppm now and phos undetectable.

13. Dawie002

Dawie002

I've also had drastic change to my nitrate level. Works well in a reactor. I see some people run it in bags. If you put it in a high flow area I'm sure you wil get the same results.

14. belindamotion

I want to put it in my Canister Filter...I have a small BOYU TL-450(58L) ...currently I have Purigen, PhosGuard, Seachem Matrix and LR and the usual "sponges" and the top Filter Mat...

15. Wes

Wes

would work 100% in you canister.

16. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Dawie,
    I have the Reef Octopus reactor. What flowrate are you using through the reactor. Dont they become mushy or do they tumble like the NP pellets.

17. Wes

Wes

Very solid structures are the cubes, won't become mushy, don't even need a reactor for them, just water flow, the better the flow of oxygenated water the better the product will work.

18. belindamotion

I believe so also...:thumbup:..that's why I'm so upset that I don't have it...:lol:..purely as I don't know enough about the Product to actually get it...:blush:...so basically I need the cubes and their Phosphate remover...? Can I still leave my Purigen and Seachem PhosGuard in..?

19. pXius

pXius

From what I understand these are np pellets with more surface area.... Just another form of carbon dosing.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2012
  20. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Thanks Wes!

21. Wes

Wes

Similar, picture a block of cheese about the size of one of those single hole pencil sharpeners, thats the size of each cube. No reactor needed.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2012
Recent Posts