Nikon D50

Discussion in 'Photography' started by belindamotion, 27 Sep 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I've been getting so jealous..:p..of the pictures some of the guy's have been taking with their camera's that I decided to dig up our old Nikon D50..:blush:...when I say old, I actually mean Brand New Out Of The Box,maybe used 4 times in the past +-5 years..:blush:..I love the Macro shot's and wanted to find out if my camera can do it..being such an old Model...I went looking at the lenses we have and one of them is a TAMRON AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD MACRO 1:2 (MODEL 572D772D)

Would those Macro shot's be any good...? Or would I require a way better Lens for really good close-up's..?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ScottK

ScottK

The D50 will be fine for macro photography, it all comes down to the lens and technique.

The Tamron lens you mentioned does have a macro function which allows a much shorter focus distance than a normal lens but is not a true 1:1 macro lens, as far as quality goes it's probably not the greatest around but a good beginner lens at a good price :)

The minimum focus distance of the Tamron you posted is just under a meter which is still quite far, an entry level Sigma macro lens has a minimum focus lens of a round 25cm, getting closer to your subject is the aim of the game with macro. To add to this a proper macro lens should be 1:1 and not 1:2.

In saying that you will still be able to get some stunning photo's before needing to upgrade to a more expensive lens. Technique is key, with a decent tripod and a remote shutter release you will be able to get some amazing shots.

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Thanks...will start playing around with the camera tomorrow and taken it from there..:)

5. belindamotion

Last edited: 28 Sep 2011
  6. belindamotion

Had a look at another lens I have..
    AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical (Model 177D/277D)..as far as I know this one is also for close-ups...think we played around taking pictures of flowers...It doesn't say Macro so I didn't give it any thought...sigh...probably not "macro" enough as it's not 1:1..?

7. ScottK

ScottK

I don't know much about the lens, it is not a specific macro lens but could give you some good results, play around with it :)

If I had the choice of the 3 lenses you posted I would most likely go for the 60mm 2.8. 60mm is a great focal length, will be great for macro and portraits.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2011
Recent Posts