Night lighting?

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
I assume in nature there isnt much light for reefs? So do u need addequate lighting at night...or doesnt it matter?

Im asking more in curiosity of power failures or load shedding at nite...aswell as general night lighting.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Wetty - I Scuba dive, and on some nights the reefs are QUITE brightly lit by the moon shine. On other nights, the reefs are pitch pitch black....

The one thing I have learnt in nature by SCUBA diving, is that everything constantly changes in the sea....

So, in order for us to try and replicate that as close as possible, we should TRY and look at supplying some lighting at night-time as well.... BUT, this would be VERY sub-dued light.

The lighting does not HAVE to run every night, as per the moon-cycle in nature...

The same goes for water current, etc.....

Wetty

Reaction score
Hi Wetty - I Scuba dive, and on some nights the reefs are QUITE brightly lit by the moon shine. On other nights, the reefs are pitch pitch black....

The one thing I have learnt in nature by SCUBA diving, is that everything constantly changes in the sea....

So, in order for us to try and replicate that as close as possible, we should TRY and look at supplying some lighting at night-time as well.... BUT, this would be VERY sub-dued light.

The lighting does not HAVE to run every night, as per the moon-cycle in nature...

The same goes for water current, etc.....
Yeah my GFs dads gona instruct me in scuba diving soon aswell.

And back to topic. I see....so how many lights do I need..and which type?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Other than Thalion's very nice and VERY expensive toy suggestion - go for a "normal/digital timer" and the Rio Moonlights that you suggested first off....
Alternatively, a VERY VERY low wattage blue globe... ie, 2 or 5 watt.... If you can find it....

Reaction score
I see the monster LED lights also can replicate the position of the sun by changing the intensity.

Wetty

Reaction score
sounds like ill be playing with trial n error when it comes to lighting...thanks for the help guys