Night Light (or not)

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wiesnerm, 11 Aug 2009.

1. wiesnerm

wiesnerm

I have a Buyo TL-550 which comes equipped with 2 blue LED's for night lighting. My question is do we need to provide night light to our tanks or not?

I have a clown that seems to be still active (although a lot subdued) when the night light is on.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

It is basically there to replicate moonlight, but it is not totally necessary as we don't have much success with lunar mating/breeding rituals.

It won't effect your LS negatively regardless of when and how long ypu have them on.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The night light is only for the Human viewing pleasure.
    Actually not doing anything for the tank, at worst if lights too strong is bothers the fish too sleep.

I see some oversea's setup uses red nightlights on the tanks. Fish eyes are a lot more sensitive for blue. Makes sence to me, but will look funny as we are not used to it.

5. Tony

Tony

I'm not mad about them. I too don't turn them on. They're nice if you have a strange creature causing havoc in your tank that you want to observe at night

6. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I will keep the night light off for a few nights and see how it is working for me.

7. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I left the night light off last night and my brain seems to love it. I have never seen the brain coming out like that with all its tentacles. It did come out with the night light on, but nothing compared to last night.:thumbup:

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

My 4 white T5's go off at 18:00 and the other 2 at 20:00 and then the blue LEDS are on till 22:00. After that, complete darkness till 06:00 when the blue LEDS come on again.

9. Pads

Pads

Ditto, My moon lights come on at around 20:30 til 23:00 then off until 08:00 and my main lights back on at 09:00. As Riaan said, and I agree that it may only be for viewing pleasure. You tank becomes alive with amazing colours. Provided you've got some corals, :p

Recent Posts