Next years project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey guys, so here is the deal.

I'll be finished studying and working full time next year, and a bunch of my buddies who are doing the same and myself are keen to rent a house out for all of us to stay in. And I'm sure you all know what this means for a reefer who doesn't have a mother restricting him with space issues:), a BIGGER TANK:thumbup:.

I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself, all I have to do is convince the okes to let me keep the tank in the lounge and I will take care of it. I'm gonna start planning now and if all goes according to plan with the house, I will look at starting the build in december or january.

So I was wondering, I don't want to go too big, like not bigger than a 5 foot, and I want to run it purely on T5's. What do you guys reckon, any ideas? Go WILD:yeahdude:

FREEDOM. lol.
My choice, 1.5 * 700-800W * 600 high.

Haha, it's so kif to be able to think of options that weren't an option before, so ya, guys go bos and I'll need all the ideas I can get, the more ideas from you guys, the more options I can play around with.

Sounds awesome Mek and Boendoe, but isn't 600 a bit deep for T5's, although I will only be looking to keep LPS and Softies with fish

No 600 should be fine with the 5 foot you can get up 80watt T5's and with good reflectors it will work. My system is 550 deep and my lights is about 20cm form the water and it s 100% for softies and LPS. SPS is a different story on it's own.

Sounds awesome Mek and Boendoe, but isn't 600 a bit deep for T5's, although I will only be looking to keep LPS and Softies with fish
Lowflyer, even SPS will thrive under decent T5's at 750 deep.
It all boils down to water clarity. This can be obtained by the use of carbon changed every 2 weeks.

Ok, thanks Mek, I think 600 deep sounds awesome, maybe I'll make it into a two year project, that way I can save up for good equipment etc and do it properly the first time. I want the tank to fit through a doorway preferably, haha

Sounds great Luke. I will be watching this space then! ;)

I also think that a 1.5 metre tank, which is not too high, but has a really decent width (front to back) should be awesome!

Yup, i actually want to go and have a look at leslies tank sometime to get some ideas from his setup as well

Hey luke, coming from having had a shallow and deep tank before, somewhere in the middle is nice :) for me 500 to 600 deep is really nice, cause you can still reach the bottom if you try to reach inside as apposed to 750 where i have to put half my face in to get anywhere, if you have a desired length, what we need to figure out is how you are going to place the tank, if it is going to go into the lounge, you want it nicely viewable from couches without having to bend down to look in when you stand next to it. So here's what i scheme. If you can, go 700-600 deep, 1200 long, and maybe 700-600 wide. And make the stand about 600 high. this will give you optimum viewing pleasure from all angles without your water volume being too big, you sacrifice length for height and width. Believe me deep tanks look nice, i really enjoy my deep tank cause there are a lot of options it gives you. And you can have the bigger boys like Nasos which are stunning. T5s will be fine for the tank, just lumber in as many as possible :p

Cool, thanks for taking the time for that post scuba, sounds like an awesome plan, how about 1200x600x550 (lxbxh) with a stand of 600

being someone who moved alot and may still move more my advice is as follows, look at a 1.200 x .600 (.700 if you want) x .500 constructed in 6mm glass and my reasons are as follows.

2 people can move a tank that size if its out of 6mm as a 10mm tank in the same size is very very akward and heavy.

its alsl a mice size tank that can be filled relitivley quickly with coral and fish and small enough to be consistent with large enough water changes and maintenence..

i had years of success and joy with my tank of a simular size and i found the ratio of equipment needed to outlay and maintenence within reason..

just my advice. unless you own the house;)

Cool, thanks for taking the time for that post scuba, sounds like an awesome plan, how about 1200x600x550 (lxbxh) with a stand of 600
yeah sounds good, i will be doing that size too, but its not complient with big fish :(
being someone who moved alot and may still move more my advice is as follows, look at a 1.200 x .600 (.700 if you want) x .500 constructed in 6mm glass and my reasons are as follows.

2 people can move a tank that size if its out of 6mm as a 10mm tank in the same size is very very akward and heavy.

its alsl a mice size tank that can be filled relitivley quickly with coral and fish and small enough to be consistent with large enough water changes and maintenence..

i had years of success and joy with my tank of a simular size and i found the ratio of equipment needed to outlay and maintenence within reason..

just my advice. unless you own the house;)
yeah sounds like a good plan too

hers a visual 1.200 x .600 x .500

YellowTangs.jpg

if only i had gone .750 i would never have changed from this tank

just my advise have a stand 750-800 high allows for easy access to sump and most chairs tables are 700h so you'll be able to see the tank over ever thing. 1200x600x600 will look in proportion nb the water level will belower say 550 push it to 1.3m or 1.4m and you can keep more tangs, or larger ones. Sump i would use a standard 3ft with 3 compartments make the water level about 25cm at the start.

That sounds like an awesome plan Les, just one question, would 8mm glass not be better?

Thanks Trad, sounds good man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom