newest noob @ MASA

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Maddawg, 27 Jun 2012.

1. Maddawg

Maddawg

hi all. maddawg here. this is a great forum with loads of info to absorb. i just purchased a new property and my mission is to get a nice marine aquarium setup...the adventure begins.
    cheers
    maddawg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

Hi and welcome to MASA hope you enjoy your stay here with us:thumbup:... oh and please post pics as you set up:p

4. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Welcome ! Feel free to ask questions as you go along.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:..the key to a successful Tank is patience...very hard to do...:p..but sooooo worth it, in the long run...loads of Info to help steer you in the right direction...:thumbup:..ask away and we will try and help...:blush:

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

7. Maddawg

Maddawg Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys. First question, is it worth while going for a nano tank? Space is not an issue, just trying to see which size tank is good to start off with?
    Thanks

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I wouldnt go for a nano. If space, and more importantly cost isnt an issue then rather go for a larger setup with a sump. A standard 1.2m is a good size and will allow more options for filtration as well as livestock.

9. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

Bigger tanks are also way easier because they are more stable. The only reasons not to go for a big tank is cost and space.

10. Maddawg

Maddawg Thread Starter

Thanks for throwing a spanner in the worx guys. OK, so what size is a good size up from a nano?

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012
  11. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

That is really a personal preference thing. Have a look at people selling second hand tanks you can normally pick up some good deals. Also check out the member system section for some ideas.

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Nothing wrong with a Nano...:)..BUT be prepared for the fact that you would probably spend more time with it...I have a little 58L Nano....I'm a SAHM so I have the "time"...the temp can rise so quickly and evaporation can happen so quickly...resulting in Salinity swings...heat is also a major factor on these small units....those are some of the problems with Nano's...most people just don't have the "time" to dedicate to these Nano's...all that influences the Stability of the Tank...hence, the majority say....go bigger...:thumbup:..the down side also is the fact that you think you want to keep one or two fishy's only...then you fall in love with this hobby and you want more fish...:p

13. DubKorps

DubKorps

if you have the space and the bucks... fit the biggest ur space and pocket alows,trust me,u will buy a small tank,but before this year is over you will have upgraded atleast twice or thrice lol... so do yourself a favour from day 1... biggest ur pocket and space alows

have fun and keep us posted on your progress and involve us in your decisions ,we all here to help:thumbup:

oh and welcometomasa

Recent Posts