Newby

Reaction score
Hi All!

Just a quick introduction post. I don't have a tank yet - but plan on starting very soon with the help of some experienced friends. I am in the process of shopping around for an approx 1.5 x 60 x 60 tank and would appreciate any advice about where to get quotes from, who to avoid, who to favour etc.

Ivan

Welcome to MASA Ivan. You can get quotes from various people but you need to be careful. We have a sponsor here in Cape Town and you are guaranteed
of good back up. That includes advice etc. Try Aquality he will probably be able to help with a second hand tank if you want to spend less.

Welcome Ivan!

Welcome to MASA.
cool size tank you planning!what you planning on keeping?it FOWLR,if corals,what type of corals?what skimmer you planning on getting,for a tank that size a Reefoctopus DNW 150 will be ideal.what lights you do you have in mind for the type of corals you might/will keep?
remember,patience in this game is very important,take things slowly and plan well,also remember buy the best you can afford,it will save you tons of $$$ in the long run.
cool man

Guys you need to take it slowly with him.

Hi Ivan! A very WARM welcome to MASA! I so glad you joined! This is the second GREAT step that you took! The first was to become interested in keeping marines!

Have you decided WHAT you want to keep? ie. Fish only? Fish with some soft-corals? Fully blown garden reef tank with some fish? Stick garden reef (SPS)?

I am quite sure that Henk will give you QUITE a few tips and pointers as well.....

Try the local Cape Town sponsors first (ie. AQuality, etc). You can also try Northern Aquatics (they custom build tanks too - not too expensive, but you might not like the tank design), Aqua Concepts, etc....

Good luck in your endeavor - BUT, please check with us BEFORE you go and spend money and place orders. LFS's are notorious for over-pricing, and sometimes selling newbies stuff they DON'T require.

Please ask as many questions as possible.... Learn, Learn, Learn - the best weapon in keeping marines, is KNOWLEDGE!

Small start

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

About 18 months ago I walked into Aqua H20 and tried to buy a tank - believing I would have Nemo and Dori swimming in my loungs that afternoon. The girl at the counter asked me a whole lot of questions and ended up sending me home with nothing but a short piece of advice: research research research. I was quite taken back at first - but now I am glad she didn't do the normal shop keeper thing, and just take my money and let me learn the hard way that marine fish keeping is not easy.

So that is what I have been doing since then -reading. My plan is to acquire decent hardware - and start small - with some live rock, followed by a couple of clowns, and a shrimp or two and take it from there.

Thanks everyone for the advice on Tank suppliers - I will get quotes from all of them.

Welcome to the forum Ivan, whatever you do, don't listen to Henk :p

while chatting to ivan on the phone yesterday we came to the conclusion that he needs a 1.5X0.8X0.8 tank with a 1.5X50X50sump with 250watt MHs, two T5s and a TS3 :D i'm still saying TS4 :p

while chatting to ivan on the phone yesterday we came to the conclusion that he needs a 1.5X0.8X0.8 tank with a 1.5X50X50sump with 250watt MHs, two T5s and a TS3 :D i'm still saying TS4 :p

Now THAT, sounds GOOD!

Back
Top Bottom