newby

I took some fish food and dropped into the tank. My live rock came alive. Little grey things came out of the rock and grabbed the food as it hit the ground. Looks like shrimp when it grabs the food it curls up around the food. they are very fast moving.

No i could not take pics they to fast and to small.
Found a worm ? red ends and middle of bod was black looked like a center peed ?

In joying this i must spend 1 to 2 hours just looking every night.

Just one of several species of pod that come with the rock, harmless free members of your clean up crew - do a google for amphipods or copepods.

As for the worm, could be a brislteworm, handy to have but painful to touch.

amphipods looks almost just less leg and 2 black little eyes the colour is like prawn black and grey

Gammaridea looks and sounds about right

thanks Mike

S8000158.jpg

And what should I be looking at?

Yes I see live rock. And...

the LR in the middle there is a bite out of it in the middle left, just above it i think its a Jewl neny. its brownish???

i will try again
thanks david:) its hard to id things and without a clear pic we are often gusing in the dark and thats not helpful to you :) but i think the brownish thing looks like it has short tentacles? when you move something near the creatchure does it react, pull away into a tube or does it close over slowly?

either way, its these hitchikers that make LR so facinating and enjoyable, pods worms, nennies....even aptasia is nice to find when its the first comming out :) keep watching your tank, its amazing how they evolve:)

i tryed to take more pcis but this is the best i got. These two look the same only colour diffrance.

There is a third but he has alot of little transparent arms and the tips are dark. the arms vary in lenth he seems to controll the lenth.

All three can xtend themselves out of there holes but if you come near them with light they withdraw into themselves

oh but thats easy to ID.....thats a hand drawn green circle.

but on a more serious note, that does indeed look like a hitchiking jewel nennie and the colour variations dont ring true with aptasia which is a very good sign :) I hestitate to give a definate answer as I am not certain myself. if i recall corectly that tank is in cycle period and this fella will be your first sign of life?? It looks like a lovely hitchiket either way :)

what are the chances of a FTS, and i would love to see your engine room, especially the plumbing as that sounded a little complicated to me in beginning so would be nice to see what u have done :) and its always nice to see the aquascape on new tanks as it opens so many possibilities . :)

21554adb050c85db6.jpg

My DSB after 3 weeks. i notice brown algea growing on the glass a dark brown layer over the top of the DSB. There is also black algea groing deep down in the DSB
Do i clean or do i leave it?
In my DT only on power heads magnets do i see green Algea.
The DSB has a light that burns 24/7.
Am i doing it right so far?

21554adb050c85db6.jpg

My DSB after 3 weeks. i notice brown algea growing on the glass a dark brown layer over the top of the DSB. There is also black algea groing deep down in the DSB
Do i clean or do i leave it?
In my DT only on power heads magnets do i see green Algea.
The DSB has a light that burns 24/7.
Am i doing it right so far?
NO dont clean it leave it!! That is a good sign that the nitrifying bacteria is starting to work. I will not leave my lights on 24/7 but rather go for 12 hpd.
At what temp do you run your maturing cycle? Do you have any Caulerpa in your sump if not I whould recommend you to get sume.

I try to keep temp at 25 C, I will try and get some Caulerpa. The light will it be best at night or day?

looking good, leave the algae for now

the best way to run the sump light is opposite to your tank lights
so at night when your tank light go off, the sump light turns on a vice versa, giving a 5min overlap, the reasoning for this is that it stops or tries to , a PH swing, as the lights turn off your PH normally drops a bit, but by doing this we minimise or prevent the PH from changing.
also algae and the likes need a dark period to process the food, glucose and nutrients they collect and this happens when photosytesis is not happening.

just keep a check on the brownish algae in the DT, as for the sump not to much to worry about.

with regards to the DSB, never disturb the sand there, one can how ever keep a hermit crab there to remove the bigger ditrius that collects there.

hope this helps

looking at the pics, how how is your sand bed? we should be aiming for 12-15cm

Back
Top Bottom