Newborn seahorses

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by AlbertMaree, 23 Aug 2009.

1. AlbertMaree

AlbertMaree

got my first 4 seahorses on Friday, now I have 40 or so in my quarantine tank.
    What do I do and what do I feed them? Help! I live in Centurion.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

CONGRATS!!!!

Unfortunetley it's very hard to raise baby sea horses if your lucky only 1 will survive... The best to feed is rotifers and normal food youd give to marine fish fry.

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

you need to talk to lIghty. They are not easy.:(

5. AlbertMaree

AlbertMaree Thread Starter

I've got some brine shrimps that should start hatching tomorrow, I 'll keeo you posted, thanks for the prompt response.

6. Anemone

Anemone

What species? At a minimum they need newly hatched brine for a while, some need rotifers. Keep their tank super clean by siphoning waste and food.

7. Anemone

Anemone

BTW, congrats!

8. lIghty

lIghty

Congrats,

Firstly, what spieces are they, and don't just talk the LFS word, as they bring most spieces under "Kudu" where they could actually be H.Comes (Tigertail).

You will need to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp (I would say with in 12 hours of hatching!), with all egg sacks removed very couple hours, try get a rotifer setup going.

You will need to CLEAN the tank after every feed at least. I made a syphon with a little brush at the end to loosen stuck "dirt".

You could also lower the SG as they tend to float, a lower SG will help.

Try lower your temp to about 22-23 deg C (depending on spieces), as this may help against infections. Perhaps Anenome could advise

Use a wooden air stone (not the normal one as the bubble are big and could kill the fry) with a low air setting just to create a little circulation in the tank.

I found that the surface of the water would have a layer on it ( as you can't use a surface skimmer / over flow), so dip a tooth pick or some thing into cod liver oil and put a small drop on the surface, then using a mug or jug skim the surface, the CLO helps to remove this layer.

Good luck!

9. Anemone

Anemone

Great information! Definately lower salinity. I keep mine at 1.020, some do 1.019, some do a bit higher. Its not an exact science, we are still learning when it comes to seahorses. Also, lowering the temperature helps a lot! You will also need to wipe the sides and bottom daily to keep it free from ciliates. I am by far an expert when it comes to seahorses, but I will be glad to help you with what I can. Seahorse.org is a great place, and thats where I got all of my help with mine.

To help with the ID and care, are you babies hitching? It is important to keep them off of the surface. They can get air in their system which prevents food and nutrition from passing through.

Seahorses are difficult to raise from birth. So don't be depressed if they don't make it. It has been estimated that only 1 in 1000 - 1500 survive in the wild. But I do encourage you to continue, document what you are doing, read, and read some more. Seahorses are endangered and us humans caused that so they greatly need our help!

10. AlbertMaree

I don't know what species they are, I'm new at this, bought 4 random ones from a tank and one gave birth, went back to buy the others in case I split up pairs with my first buy.
    The oldest (biggest) is almost black with light brown spots, the others golden brown.
    The newly hatched looks just like the Early pics of Anemone's fry.
    There are 34 left of 36 and they show interest in red rotifers. will upload pics soon!
    Thanks for the advice., hatching Brine shrimps like crazy!

11. Anemone

Anemone

Feed the newly hatched brine, and look for orange bellies. Continue offering rotifers just in case they won't take the brine.

Unfortunately you can't tell what species they are by comparing baby pics. To be honest, I have a difficult time telling species by the parents. www.seahorse.org is your best bet.

Congrats on getting them this far.

12. AlbertMaree

Well, they lasted for a week< the last ones died last night!
    All i can say is that it was a crazy week of of cleaning and feeding and hatching brine.
    Brenda, I don't know how you keep it up!
    This had to happen to me to really appreciate what you're doing.
    I'll be following your thread closely!
    I'm just very sad now!

13. Fishfood

Fishfood

Don't worry Albert - you learn from experience.
    Congrats on keeping them alive for a week on your first go.
    I'm sure that when it happens again, you'll be much more prepared for it and will have much more success.

14. dv8

dv8

wow, what a stroke of luck, but in the same breath how unfortunate for your loss. but well done for keeping them alive for as long as you did.

15. Anemone

Anemone

Sorry for your loss, but chances are you'll have babies again!

It sounds like a feeding issue. I have read that the babies can last about 5 days without food. I'm wondering if you are not feeding enough. Did you ever see orange bellies when feeding the brine? If not, they likely needed rotifers for the first week. Perhaps you didn't have enough rotifers, it takes an aweful lot of rotifers to feed seahorses.

Can you describe your setup? Were you able to keep them off of the top? Did they hitch, or stay suspended?

Because of a series of power outages and the brine crashes that followed, I unfortunately lost most of mine at about 3 months. The only survivers are the ones that were taking the frozen mysis at the time. :(

16. lIghty

lIghty

Sorry for your loss, I now exactly what you mean, it madness.

Recent Posts